Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
coolant tan replacement......
por911(bc) - Sunday, 13 May, 2012, at 12:43:01 pm
Decided to tackle this task the other day since the part had been sitting on the shelf for over a year. Here are some pics of the carnage:

The old tank was looking pretty tired and had a fair bit of calcification inside which was surprising since the car has had coolant changes over the years. The liner in the trunk needed to be removed to gain access at the tanks hardware>

I found it easier to access the spring clamps to the tank by putting the car in "service position". The spring clamp tool from Sears helps, but only moderately. It does not compress the clamps far enough to be a slam dunk.

Disconnecting the oil filler hose and others at the black plastic housing at the engine/trunk firewall made it a lot easier to pull the tank. I say this. because others out there might attempt this without disconnecting them and struggle to little avail. The short coolant hose at the back of the tank was probably the toughest to get removed, but it does go with patience.

I used 2 gallons of 50/50 Porsche coolant with distilled water. Just letting sit on the ramps, it bleed a far bit of the air out by itself. After warming it up, we took it for a bit of a drive which seemingly bleed out the rest of the air(if there was any). Glad to have that new tank in. The old one looked like a grenade waiting to go off. Hope this helps others. Have a good weekend everyone.
regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2012 12:51PM by por911(bc). (view changes)
Sorry, should be coolant "tank" replacement
por911(bc) - Sunday, 13 May, 2012, at 1:52:43 pm
Could not get edit function to work.
periodically.

I remember when I had the low coolant warning light come on that upon first check -- rather cursory but still... -- at first the coolant level looked ok to me. But what I soon learned was I was just seeing the ring round the tank created by the coolant when it was at the right level.

Only when I removed the cap -- with the coolant cold! -- and removed the screen and looked inside the tank did I see that it was indeed quite low. IIRC it took nearly a gallon of distilled water to refill.

(Coolant had been lost due to a leaking coolant cap.)

Sincerely,

MarcW.
a response....
por911(bc) - Sunday, 13 May, 2012, at 3:10:19 pm

I upgraded the coolant cap awhile back, which was needed. Congrats Marc on those miles(255k)!!!!!! Was reading the other post, you definitely got your $ worth out of that old set. How is the car driving now? The 01 base in the pics, drives better now(60k), then when it was new.
regards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2012 03:11PM by por911(bc). (view changes)
from its handling/behavior and what's remaining I think I can live with. Looked into a ROW setup and the price puts me off. Tech also advised agaInst it as it makes the car lower (already low enough its nose drags in quite a few driveways even though I'm careful/slow) and makes the ride harsher. So, I priced a set of 4 factory struts. Not the end of the world expensive but I'm going to leave the original ones in service until they leak or otherwise give me a clear sign it is time to replace them.

The tech told me that I can go aftermarket to save some money and yet can get them installed at the dealer. He said too that suspension bushings (using aftermarket -- a UK Porsche mag ran an article on these a while back) can be replaced instead of buying new suspension parts just to get the new bushings.

The old tires were not only worn out but out of balance and with the new tires being in balance that helps the car's feel a great deal.

I'm going to keep driving the thing. The odo rolled over 255K miles the other day so another oil/filter service is due, just as soon as I can pick up sufficient quarts of Mobil 1 5w-50 oil from the nearby Mobil oil distributor. I'll pick up the oil probably Monday at lunch time. The oil/filter service I think I'll do this coming weekend. I've been so busy I haven't had the time falling back to having this done at the dealer, going so far as to ask the SM manager (which he agreed to do) pick up the car at my house and driving the car to the dealer for its service then on Saturday I hi-jack a shuttle driver to help me get the car home again.

Someone suggested I dyno the car's engine and post its current output. I like that idea but also I'm a bit reluctant to do this.

While the engine still feels strong I'm afraid the numbers will be worse than I think or can accept and I'll suddenly fall out of love with the car. I can't afford to have the engine replaced, freshened up, or even replace the car (well, I could afford any of these but I just do not want to spend the money). I have to admit I do like the looks of the new Boxster and I assume the new Cayman will look similar. I am invited to the local dealer's new Boxster intro/test drive scheduled I think next month. A new Boxster or even better a new Cayman is very very tempting. I am trying to arrange my schedule so I'll be out of town at the intro time to avoid the temptation.

Whoever said 'ignorance is bliss' knew a thing or two...

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login