Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
swapping rear tires (L to R)
Petee_C - Monday, 14 May, 2012, at 11:27:50 pm
would require remounting... I am running Hankook v12's... was cleaning the wheels and noticed that I could probably get a bit more wear out of the tires if I swapped L and R.... any disadvantages?

These were my last set of tires....

[peterchang1.blogspot.ca]
be sure to keep the direction of (forward) rotation as previously mounted. There is a conventional thought that radials shouldn't be reversed once they're broken in, like a few hundred miles. This advice applies whether or not the tires are directional.
There may be a big disadvantage, however, if the tires are asymmetrical, then you shouldn't use the above method, as you'll lose the advantage of the tread pattern/compound difference from inside to outside, and possibly even exacerbate poor tire response.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2012 12:42PM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz. My tires are symmetrical and directional. I'll see what the tire dealer says

P
If they're asymmetrical, but not directional,
Laz - Tuesday, 15 May, 2012, at 1:20:38 pm
you could try switching left and right with reversing direction (discounting the supposed "don't reverse radials after so many miles" rule.)
to make it through the track weekend.

I noticed no ill effects of running them "backwards" and one would presume that was severe service.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Dry track, right? *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 16 May, 2012, at 9:12:06 am
if you were thinking of water dispalcement

Grant

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2012 10:09AM by Laz. (view changes)
My tires probably do shed water more efficiently int he direction they were designed to travel.

But there was a LOT of water on the Turnpike on the way home. I never drive fast under those conditions anyway, and one shoud lbe able to feel the steering lightening as hydroplaning begins to lighten the load, so to speak.

Grant

Grant

You can definitely dismount and swap the rears left to right as long as the tires are symetrical. If they are asymetrics, they will not shed water properly in the wet.

The reason the rears wear on the insides is that the stock alignment calls for a lot of negative camber, which causes the inside to wear. Next time you have the car aligned, go to a shop that will work with you and have them dial out as much of the rear negative camber as they can. It will help with the inside wear and it will also dial out some of the understear which is engineered into the Boxster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login