Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Radio and console question?
marbleheader - Tuesday, 15 May, 2012, at 5:00:41 am
2001 Boxster S.
My console from top to bottom is: cup holders, stock radio, cd holder, climate control.
I would like to leave the climate control where it is, eliminate the other 3 things and add an open storage bin (1 space) and a new radio (taking up 2 spaces).
I would like a radio with hands free cell phone (blue tooth), navigation, a hard drive for music storage, etc.
Does anybody on this board know of a good replacement radio/nav unit for a 2001 Boxster?
It is highly unlikely I will attempt the changeover myself. Probably bring it to a car stereo company to have the work done.
What is a decent unit that looks like original equipment and blend in nicely.
Thank you!
Re: Radio and console question?
whall - Tuesday, 15 May, 2012, at 11:36:10 am
Check out this link: [www.renntech.org]

This is for the physical installation of an older 2DIN Pioneer nav/stereo system. There is another link for the electrical installation.

The latest Pioneer 2DIN system, that I have knowledge of is the AVIC-Z130BT,which has Bluetooth, iPod, Pandora, satellite radio, etc., etc., integration capabilities. The installation is pretty much the same as the above referenced unit and, at any rate, is not complicated by the MY03 and later MOST interface buss. After having installed two Pioneer systems, I feel the gains in sound quality - just using the head unit's amplifier - is head and shoulders above the stock head unit, even using the stock speakers. Having worked around jet engines and APUs for nearly 40 years, I am not nearly as interested in the various combinations and permutations of amplifiers and speakers that the Pioneer head unit will support.....which are many.

You will probably get a lot of advice concerning the wisdom of having an integrated nav system versus a portable nav system.....keeping your existing radio. The main arguments for portable units are the portability, the ease (and relative cheapness) of updating the data base and the ability of down-loading computer generated routes. ...and more I can't think of off the point of my head. If you want to have an integrated system that has capabilities, both nav and audio, that will keep you entertained and enlightened, I would recommend a Pioneer or similar 2DIN unit.

The author of the link, Trieullionaire, has an installation kit available which makes the installation process relatively painless. Trieullionaire has been ready to assist when customers have had question/problems. I have no financial interest in Trieulilionaire's endeavors.....just a satisfied customer.

Bill
chrismmm - Friday, 18 May, 2012, at 4:24:46 am
great advice. i have used pioneer head units alot in the recent past and will ck this also. one feature i am looking for is streaming bt and a legitimate functionaing usb 2.0 port that i can run music to from a droid phone. i have moved on from iphone/itunes/ipod a few years ago and not looking back.
thx again
ericp - Tuesday, 15 May, 2012, at 7:30:04 pm
There's a guy in Danvers that does this stuff, my friend had him put a nice system in his Jeep and he loved it. I am interested in the same type of setup you are, I'll stop by and talk to him to see what he thinks. I also have an '01.

-Eric
marbleheader - Wednesday, 16 May, 2012, at 9:14:57 am
Sounds great, let me know, thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login