Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Fuel with 15% Ethanol
p-wagen - Wednesday, 16 May, 2012, at 11:55:50 am
I have heard on the news lately that there is a push by our government to up the percent of Ethanol in gasoline from 10% to 15%, maybe as early as this summer. Anyone else heard this? I wonder what Porsche has to say about a 15% Ethanol gasoline blend in our Boxsters?
Link to the 2013 Boxster fuel information at Porsche's US site:
Laz - Wednesday, 16 May, 2012, at 12:09:51 pm
Scroll to the "Fuel" section.

[www.porsche.com]

This is a 2013 model, in compliance for that year.
Re: Fuel with 15% Ethanol
db997S - Wednesday, 16 May, 2012, at 12:16:41 pm
I thought that to go more than 10%, you needed a tweaked engine? You get to the point with Ethanol where you get worse MPG the more you have in the mix. Certain vehicles are marketed for using 15% ethanol. I guess the corn growers of America are really paying their lobbyists big time to push this. Pretty soon all farmers will stop growing food and switch to corn to fuel our cars instead of our bodies.
ago.

My info was that before the mandate was issued testing of new and used cars was being done to ensure there would be no issues.

I'm not sure how much trust I would put into this testing. I mean we have a lot of history with 10% (though my info is the refineries stayed below 8%) ethanol in gasoline with no apparent issues, if one ignores the fuel mileage penalty.

Anyhow, the last I remember reading was if the mandate goes through, 10% ethanol gas will still be offered, so one will have a choice of 10% or 15%.

Also, I wonder if the refineries will once again lighten up on the ethanol and stay below 15%?

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Today's USA Today (at least the online edition) there's an article that covers this in more detail.

[content.usatoday.com]

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Might not happen, either. Check out this link...
MarcW - Wednesday, 16 May, 2012, at 2:16:24 pm
[www.sacbee.com]

with CA facing high gas prices (gas prices at my local station jumped from $4.349/gallon to $4.499/gallon almost overnight) and the word is due to refinery problems that produce CA gas (some supposedly super blend that cuts air pollution but no one seems to know whats the magic ingredient other than it can contain up to 10% ethanol...) gas prices will go up even higher before they come down, the added cost to fuel adding more ethanol to it may not come to pass.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login