Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Original Design.
jpv42 - Monday, 21 May, 2012, at 2:42:20 pm
Did you ever notice how changing a design from the original messes with proportion? Take the Boxster. Designed as a roadster. Changing it to a Cayman throughs the car out of wack. For staters the roof is too high at the front.

The 911 was designed as a coupe. Removing the top throughs especially the rear around the engine cover way off. Hate looking at cabriolets.

Final thought. If you want to go topless get a car that was designed that way. Same if you want a roof over your head.
Re: Original Design.
db997S - Monday, 21 May, 2012, at 3:22:35 pm
Way to start a troll war. I'll bite. Both cars you mention as being design freaks are highly popular, so there are countless individuals who would disagree. Those are just the ones buying. Ask those who can't afford either if they'd buy either if they could afford to, and I'm sure they'd be eager to line up with checkbook in hand. You are correct, when I drive my hideously designed, freak of a 911 cab I'm ashamed of it. I hide it out of sight when i park in public. I slink down low in the seat so nobody sees me in it when I drive. I've even thought about buying a wig, fake beard and sunglasses so nobody links me to the car. On roadtrips I shutter everytime I have to stop for gas at a self serve because I know people will be pointing and laughing at the freak of a car I'm driving. Ridicule follows me everywhere I go. I'd sell it, but who would buy it? It's so freakishly ugly, there's absolutely no market for the cars whatsoever. There's no way people would actually pay a $10,000 premium for such a freak of nature as a 911 Cab. Porsche would be foolish to even try and do such a thing. So, I'm stuck with my butt ugly car unitl it dies or I do, which ever comes first.
paulwdenton - Tuesday, 22 May, 2012, at 7:57:04 am
And to think my wife made me trade in my Boxster for my Cayman because she actually thought the Cayman was sexier, and now she won't let me trade or sell it for the same reason. Silly woman, doesn't she realize that style and design are completely objective and everyone else can see how hideously ugly the Cayman is? Now, if the Cayman had been designed from scratch as a coupe like, e.g., the new Scion tC, then we wouldn't have this problem. Then they could have flattened out the roof at the front and ended up with great proportions and a real thing of beauty. LOL
silverbox03 - Tuesday, 22 May, 2012, at 10:36:08 pm
911's, Boxsters, Caymans, all just wonderful in their own unique way. I'm just happy to be able to hang on to my 986, as the last few years have been tough. All of us should consider ourselves fortunate to have the means to enjoy these cars.
I do think the 986 will always be iconic. It's the original. Porsche bringing a new design out with a nod to the past, ie, 550, RS60, etc. The 987 was somewhat logical progression. Cayman is kickass serious uptick as well. Anything the Box lacks for the track, is addressed with the Cayman series.
I like the 981 enough. The prices are still not too bad considering all the extra content. I wonder if they should have made the new a car a bit more simple with a lower price. Thoughts ?
Some 911 owners(read: not all) should try to get over themselves. The very earliest Porsches had their engines "a-mid-ship", not hung out beyond the rear axle. Boxsters are every bit as much a proper Porsche. And the current 911 is enough of a departure from the early 911's that maybe the latest 911's are not real Porsches either...hmmm.
chrismmm - Monday, 21 May, 2012, at 6:14:49 pm
in other words your premise doesnt follow convention in that people dont look at a car's lineage and then decide upon whether they like it or not. In fact its the inverse. We find a car we love and notice how it has evolved into something we would deliberately go out and purchase at great expense after long thought not to focus on a period but to focus on the tangible we see in front of us. Which BTW: looks superb to all here: you being the exception.

We are glad that was your final thoughts and bid you good day sir...I SAID GOOD DAY SIR !
chrismmm - Monday, 21 May, 2012, at 6:16:03 pm
Pedro or mod: respectfully request to close this thread!
and strongly encouraged winking smiley to kick his sorry and stupid _ _ _ to the curb.

Why shut down the fun - we could use a little excitement 'round these parts

maybe that's all he's trying to do winking smiley
No way we would EVER shut down a thread about going topless, would we??

Butt, I love them all !!! grinning smiley *NM*
Roger987 - Tuesday, 22 May, 2012, at 10:45:28 am
+1 smiling smiley *NM*
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 22 May, 2012, at 10:58:26 am
You guys are just 'but' men....
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 22 May, 2012, at 12:29:03 pm
Maybe this thread should now be deleted.... grinning smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Top on, top off, soft top, hard top, big top, tiny top....I love'em all! smileys with beer
uh... are we still talking about cars? confused smiley
Dave In MD - Tuesday, 22 May, 2012, at 2:23:13 pm
OTOH, IMHO the 986 looks better than the 987 and the 981 fixes some of that, returning to a look of a sports car and less of a Z4 luxo cruiser wanna be. I also think it's possible that the 987 was designed as a Boxster hardtop and then the top removed. Of course, all three are better than most, but I think we need to line all three up at BRBS and drink beer and discuss until we get a consensus or there's a "last man standing". smileys with beer

981 at New York auto show unveiling:

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;
ahh beer. what could be better than a great discussion about boxsters and lots of beer!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login