Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
A Note for Motive Owners
Al in Melbourne Beach - Monday, 21 May, 2012, at 11:08:55 pm
I went to get mine out yesterday to flush my brakes and discovered the hose from the bottle had gotten brittle and disintegrated. The fluid left in the hose ran out and saturated the box, peeling the paint on the top of the tool cabinet where it was stored. If you have one, I suggest you store it in a container that can withstand brake fluid between uses and you may want to have some spare hose on hand.

On the good side, the brake flush went smoothly. Prior to flushing I replaced my flexible lines with the ones I won a couple of years ago at BRBS - Thanks Pedro! Interestingly enough there was enough fluid flow by siphon from the master cylinder to fill the lines as I tightened them 1/8 turn at a time. When I flushed the system there were no air bubbles released.

A quart of DOT4 did the brakes, but not the clutch. I probably let it bleed too long to be sure of the difference between the old amber fluid and the clear new fluid. Tomorrow the clutch.....

Al
Re: A Note for Motive Owners
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 22 May, 2012, at 2:00:26 pm
After using the Motive or any other tool that contacts brake fluid, you need to flush it with water, especially the hoses.
Water will neutralize brake fluid, but if brake fluid is left on anything it will absorb all it's water and make it crack and peel.
I run water through all my lines and flush the inside of the Motive. Then I dry it with dry compressed air.
If you really want to be anal about it you can rinse with isopropyl alcohol which is a water displacer but it would be overkill.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
hence, "Rubbing Alcohol." I suggest either of the "dry gas" alcohols.
A Note for Motive Owners Part Deux
Al in Melbourne Beach - Tuesday, 22 May, 2012, at 9:23:49 pm
Well Pedro, I wish I had done that. It got worse today. A quart of fluid wasn't quite enough and it was getting late Sunday so I decided to flush the clutch later. Tonight, I put the Motive in a bucket in the front trunk, pumped it up, got my assistant, and crawled under the rear end. By the time I got the line on the nipple and loosened it up, no flow. I crawled out and when I went around front I found the hose broken off at the Motive and brake fluid everywhere. The pressure apparently blew the fluid up in the air and all over the left front fender, inside of the hood and trunk. Luckily I had only gotten a pint to do the clutch. Three hours later I had the trunk stripped of all liners and the amp and everything double or triple washed and flushed. Hopefully it will be dry in time to go to BRBS. So my advice would be to not bother with just a bucket. Get a 10# kitty litter bucket or 5 gal paint bucket with a top and cut a hole in the lid to pass the Motive hose. That way if there is a hose failure at the Motive the fluid will be contained. Next time I'll flush it with water befor putting it away.
Re: A Note for Motive Owners Part Deux
San Rensho - Tuesday, 22 May, 2012, at 9:48:12 pm
Al in Melbourne Beach
Well Pedro, I wish I had done that. It got worse today. A quart of fluid wasn't quite enough and it was getting late Sunday so I decided to flush the clutch later. Tonight, I put the Motive in a bucket in the front trunk, pumped it up, got my assistant, and crawled under the rear end. By the time I got the line on the nipple and loosened it up, no flow. I crawled out and when I went around front I found the hose broken off at the Motive and brake fluid everywhere. The pressure apparently blew the fluid up in the air and all over the left front fender, inside of the hood and trunk. Luckily I had only gotten a pint to do the clutch. Three hours later I had the trunk stripped of all liners and the amp and everything double or triple washed and flushed. Hopefully it will be dry in time to go to BRBS. So my advice would be to not bother with just a bucket. Get a 10# kitty litter bucket or 5 gal paint bucket with a top and cut a hole in the lid to pass the Motive hose. That way if there is a hose failure at the Motive the fluid will be contained. Next time I'll flush it with water befor putting it away.

Or you can just use the Motive bleeder, dry, to pressurize the brake fluid reservoir. You will have to refill the the reservoir a couple of times to bleed all the brakes, but if you keep an eye on the level so it doesn't run empty and force air into the braking system, you'll be ok with no chance of a brake fluid blowout.
That's what I do
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 23 May, 2012, at 9:32:10 am
I find it quicker overall since you never have to clean the motive.
1. a full fluid flush, where the reservoir can run dry.
2. Even a simpyl bleed on a car witha tiny reservoir (liek many modern audis) that cna run dry in as little as 50 ml.

Once you get air in the abs pump you are up $H1Ts creek.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Not applicable for modern Porsches though
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 23 May, 2012, at 6:28:15 pm
It takes a few minutes for the level to go all the way down, even with the pressure at 30 psi. It moves slowly and there is plenty of time after it gets below the "min" mark before it gets dangerously low.
Ouch! Sorry to hear of the troubles Al.
jg wnc - Wednesday, 23 May, 2012, at 8:22:14 am
However I am feeling better about my choice to install Speed Bleeders vs. using the Motive. Yeah, it's a bit more of a PIA, but it is not that big a deal.
my concern with speed bleeders and thier ilk is.....
grant - Wednesday, 23 May, 2012, at 1:57:27 pm
You run much higher risk of air infiltration. Any vacuum device, or, frankly, any device that does nto work on positive pressure, can let air in. There is vacuum on the release strike.

A pressure bleeder, on the other hand, cannot allow air in.

And if you drain it every time, as you should, no issues occur. Just flush with warm water and let dry. For a really logn time, or use compressed air.

Grant

Grant

I just make sure that the reservoir is always full when I start bleeding each wheel. smiling smiley
A pressure bleeder will push air OUT.

Its unambiguous. Maybe its a rare issue, but its a real danger nonetheless.

Grant

Grant

Agree with this 100% and...
grant - Wednesday, 23 May, 2012, at 11:13:01 am
don;t call me anal :-)

Oh, i would nto leave brake fluid in a relatively open container anyway. If i have extra i either:

1 toss it, or
2. return it to the original container for use within 3-4 months. I store the container tightly closed and double sealed ina plastic bag.

Grant

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login