Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Ignition Switch Replacement Question
Al in Melbourne Beach - Wednesday, 30 May, 2012, at 12:17:58 am
The ignition switch on my 2002 has started occasionally acting up (again). Must be a BRBS thing. The first time it failed on me was at BRBS several years ago. I got it replaced under warranty then, but now I'm on my own. The dealer replaced the electrical part first, but that was only partially successful, so he then replaced the complete assembly, less the lock mechanism with the (new and improved) version. This was around 2008 or so.

So my question - short of taking the switch out to get the part number, is there any way to tell which Audi/VW part I need? I read the DIY which mentions two vesions of the switch. I searched the archives and found references to older Boxsters needing the newer switch. I'm guessing that the new version of the switch assembly needs the later version of the electrical switch, but the key word here is "guessing".

Hopefully it will last through BRBS and until I get back home when I'll be able to order one and get it installed.

Thanks,

Al
Can you describe the symptoms?
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 30 May, 2012, at 8:20:08 am
You have the new version of the switch (introduced in late 2003), which is counter-intuitively the one without the trailing "B" in the part number. You can get it from AutoHausAz for $13.50.

The versions are:
A 4A0 905 849 (original part number)
4A0 905 849 B (update to electrical switch - compatible with original lock barrel)
4B0 905 849 (final update - compatible with new lock barrels)

If you happen to have the receipt for the lock cylinder replacement, I think you'll find the part number to be 996.347.017.07 (old part is .06)
Re: Can you describe the symptoms?
Al in Melbourne Beach - Thursday, 31 May, 2012, at 10:43:17 pm
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the info...

Saw you at dinner but didn't get to say hello. When it acts up the key will turn to the point where it should unlock the wheel and won't turn any farther. If I pull the key out there is no clunk, probably because the wheel is still locked. I tried wiggling the wheel, but it didn't help. After several more tries it worked normally and has been fine since.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login