Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Drove the new Boxster Yesterday
DougW - Friday, 1 June, 2012, at 4:58:19 pm
I had an opportunity to drive the new Boxster S yesterday through a slalom course and on a track.
The event was a promotion sponsored by Porsche Canada and our local dealer in SW Ontario.
There were 8 Boxster S's available (all PDK equipped).
All Boxsters had PASM and Sport Plus, and 20" wheels.
The steering through the slalom and on the track felt great.
We were able to test the Launch Control and also put the brakes through their paces with emergency stopping maneuvers.
The brakes as expected were fantastic.
Launch control was fun but don't think I would use it much if it was my own vehicle...
I was initially disappointed they did not have any manual transmissions to try, but after the sessions through the cones and on the track I was thankful for the PDK as I was glad to have both hands on the wheel.
Some of the Boxsters had paddle shifters and some had the push/pull switches (I never used either as the PDK seemed to know what I was thinking and up shifted or down shifted before I could pull the trigger).
The grip through the corners was hard to believe, also the shifts with Sport Plus engaged were a real kick in the kidneys.
The cabin seemed to have more room than my 07 Boxster and the seats were very comfortable.
Switches and finish was upscale also comparing to my 07. Rear trunk a bit smaller.
Bottom line is I'd like one in Aqua Blue please (Guenter I may be looking for a place to stay as my wife doesn't share my enthusiasm to upgrade at this time...)
Go ahead and use that w your better half to provide her solace.

See ya at g-man's grinning smiley
Still thinking about the drive in your Cab
Re: Drove the new Boxster Yesterday
jwdbox - Friday, 1 June, 2012, at 10:03:39 pm
Thanks for the feedback Doug. You mentioned the trunk was smaller- that's surprising. Was that because of the new top arrangement intruding into what was the back of the trunk?cool smiley
DougW - Friday, 1 June, 2012, at 11:27:30 pm
Yes that's what I thought when I saw it, I asked the Porsche Rep. and he confirmed that it was smaller.
It didn't seem quite as deep and seemed a bit shorter from front to back.
I have fit two golf carry bags in mine and don't think that would work in the new Boxster.
Still much more room than some of the hard top cabs. out there.
joris - Saturday, 2 June, 2012, at 3:14:06 am
That was also my impression when I saw the new Boxster at the dealer in Eindhoven, however the specs for both my 987.2 and the new 981 are 150/130 liter!?
jwdbox - Saturday, 2 June, 2012, at 10:18:28 am
DougW
Yes that's what I thought when I saw it, I asked the Porsche Rep. and he confirmed that it was smaller.
I have fit two golf carry bags in mine and don't think that would work in the new Boxster.
Interesting. I carry a full size cart bag and do not have to take any clubs including the driver out in SilverBox's trunk. That is an important plus for me. As a matter of fact I was impressed in the original sales lit somewhere it mentioned the 987 trunk was specifically designed to carry the full set of clubs. I don't think I have seen any similar statement for the 981s.
MikenOH - Sunday, 3 June, 2012, at 2:16:45 pm
jwdbox
DougW
Interesting. I carry a full size cart bag and do not have to take any clubs including the driver out in SilverBox's trunk. That is an important plus for me. As a matter of fact I was impressed in the original sales lit somewhere it mentioned the 987 trunk was specifically designed to carry the full set of clubs. I don't think I have seen any similar statement for the 981s.

That's unfortunate if true. The ability to get a golf bag or two into the back of the 986 or 987 was one of those attributes that helped differentiate the car from it's competitors--the Miata and Z4 come to mind first. It won't be a deal breaker for the enthusiasts, but for those golfers using the car as w/e or daily transportation, it may be enough to get them looking elswhere.
jwdbox - Sunday, 3 June, 2012, at 5:48:59 pm
MikenOH
jwdbox
DougW

That's unfortunate if true. The ability to get a golf bag or two into the back of the 986 or 987 was one of those attributes that helped differentiate the car from it's competitors--the Miata and Z4 come to mind first. It won't be a deal breaker for the enthusiasts, but for those golfers using the car as w/e or daily transportation, it may be enough to get them looking elswhere.
Or encouragement to stay with our current 986 or 987s cool smiley
MauriceonLongIsland - Sunday, 3 June, 2012, at 12:36:10 am
jwdbox
Thanks for the feedback Doug. You mentioned the trunk was smaller- that's surprising. Was that because of the new top arrangement intruding into what was the back of the trunk?cool smiley

Porsche N.A. brought three new Boxsters to BRBS for everyone to check out.

The rear trunk is definitely smaller because the bulkhead for the engine seems to have a "bump" that runs from left to right and protrudes into what used to be space in the 987 and 986. The side edges of the rear trunk also has an intruding bump on each side that also makes the forward part of the rear trunk smaller.

The front trunk also has a bigger bump than the 987 (where the spare tire used to be in the 986) that protrudes forward from the base of the windshield into the space that was there in the old trunks. This may be why there is more legroom in the passenger cabin in the new Boxsters.

Regards, Maurice.
jwdbox - Sunday, 3 June, 2012, at 1:25:07 am
thanks for the additional details Maurice. For sure will have to check out its capacity to carry a full set of golf clubs in a regular sized cart bag as the 987 can do.cool smiley
Thanks for the report, Doug
Roger987 - Friday, 1 June, 2012, at 11:12:54 pm
Sounds as though the 981 is a worthy successor.

I wonder if GMan got his hands on a manual transmission model yet...
Re: Thanks for the report, Doug
DougW - Friday, 1 June, 2012, at 11:33:08 pm
If he did I think he'd be impressed, he would just have to order color to sample to get his Arctic Silver back
Re: Thanks for the report, Doug
986geezer - Saturday, 2 June, 2012, at 6:01:00 pm
Any of you going to Monticello next weekend for the stateside version? I am due first thing Fri. morning, maybe see some of you there.

AKL
And I can't wait!!

List of cars include 981, 991, Panamera and Cayenne.
Have fun Gundo *NM*
DougW - Tuesday, 5 June, 2012, at 10:23:02 pm
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 6 June, 2012, at 5:22:35 pm
Thanks for the great writeup, Doug.

Kind of scary for guys like Scott, Gary and Roger. Would you really want the car to know what they're thinking? winking smiley grinning smiley

Hopefully, I'll have a chance to take one for a spin in the near future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login