Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Fuel Gauge
Spanky - Friday, 1 June, 2012, at 5:19:18 pm
During my last two refuelings, the fuel gauge in my '06 rises to 7/8 although I have completely filled the tank. At first, I thought
I had misjudged the gas pump cutoff, but on a subsequent refueling, I had the same experience.

Curiously, my miles-to-empty indicator seems to reset completely... but I don't really know since I never studied the miles-to-empty readout before.

Cruising around the Internet, I see a lot of reports of recalibrating the fuel gauge sending unit or restraining the wires around the sending unit inside the tank.

Does anybody here have any advice for me before I visit my independent mechanic? It's time for my 30K service and I guess this just adds to my bill...
Re: Fuel Gauge
bgale (Montrose,CO) - Saturday, 2 June, 2012, at 1:02:03 pm
On my way to the Fort Worth Parade the fuel gauge went 'wonky'. When I made a fuel stop the gauge did not return to full. As I drove down the road the needle moved towards the full mark but never reached it. Spent the 2 weeks before I got home keeping track of the number miles between fill-ups. Turned out to be a fuel level sending unit - replaced under warranty. No problems since. This was on a '02 S with 22k miles on it.
Spanky
During my last two refuelings, the fuel gauge in my '06 rises to 7/8 although I have completely filled the tank. At first, I thought
I had misjudged the gas pump cutoff, but on a subsequent refueling, I had the same experience.

Curiously, my miles-to-empty indicator seems to reset completely... but I don't really know since I never studied the miles-to-empty readout before.

Cruising around the Internet, I see a lot of reports of recalibrating the fuel gauge sending unit or restraining the wires around the sending unit inside the tank.

Does anybody here have any advice for me before I visit my independent mechanic? It's time for my 30K service and I guess this just adds to my bill...

simply no longer reports the fuel level correctly. A recal IIRC is a bit of work. The tank has to be emptied then a known quantity of fuel added and blah blah blah.

The mechanism can be worn out -- unlikely on your 06. Or the mechanism is gummed up. What kind make that what quality of gas have you been running? If a out of the way supermarket gas this may not have the detergents in it that a better quality of gas has. The mechanism has gotten gummed up.

A bottle or two of Techron *before an oil/filter service is due* might be of some help. The cost is very low. Just 2 bottles of Techron and mix according to directions then drive the car until the tank gets down to say a 1/4 tank, then see if the symptom is gone at the next fill up. I'd probably not repeat this if it doesn't. Be sure to change the oil/filter afterwards.

The unit still appears to work at some level so I do not think it is just broken.

Oh, another problem is a fuel line or something else inside the tank has come loose and is interfering with the fuel tank level mechanism.

About the only think you can try on your own is that Techron thing. Beyond that I think somebody's going to have to open up the tank and examine the fuel level mechanism.

Of course, talk to your indy. He may have encountered this before and can offer some advise.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login