Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
jobs to do while replacing transmission?
Steve (Morro Bay) - Monday, 4 June, 2012, at 4:01:24 pm
My base 2003 with about 100k miles was flat bedded to a local indy this weekend with what I'm told will require replacing the transmission. A used transmission should arrive in a few days, and I thought I check here to see what other jobs people thought I should consider doing at the same time. The clutch is about 4 years old. Would most people replace that at the same time anyway? Also, I've never had the IMS looked at or fiddled with. Is there a common wisdom thing people usually do with that during a job like this?
The Rear Main Seal (RMS) replacement with the new part is commonly done with the transmission/clutch out.

The InterMediate Shaft bearing/seal replacement is more controversial but, if you are going to do it, there is no cheaper time to do it than when the transmission is out for another reason.
Re: jobs to do while replacing transmission?
danz76 - Monday, 4 June, 2012, at 4:25:38 pm
IMS for certain.
At 4 years, I would strongly consider replacing the clutch and flywheel.
a comment....
por911(bc) - Monday, 4 June, 2012, at 5:18:24 pm
If you are still on the originals, you might consider replacing the trans mounts while in there. I found ours were shot at 50k with very little if any aggressive driving. The usual's should be checked: AOS(because ease of access), RMS, intermediate shaft/seals/bolts, case through bolts, duel mass flywheel, slave, clutch assembly, pilot bearing.
regards
The labor for the IMS should, with the tranny out, be very low - $200, and for the RMS darn near free.

Ditto the clutch. A good kit should be $600-700 for the whole shebang

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Back in the early spring, I ...
Dave In MD - Monday, 4 June, 2012, at 8:38:21 pm
replaced the clutch in my 03 base at just over 60k miles. It was shuttering and was almost to the rivets. While in there, I had the IMS bearing replaced and the RMS replaced (the newest one is very different). Of course, I also had oil and filter changed, a track alignment done, a ROW M030 suspension installed and wrote a fairly sizable check to the Indie that works on my car. eye rolling smiley

The bearing that came out looked perfect. It makes a nice $600 paperweight. The labor is minimal for doing it once the transmission and engine are separated. As is the RMS and clutch. Almost all the labor is just removal, transmission separation and re-installation.

I'd probably do it again just for the peace of mind of knowing that the original isn't going to fail. I know it's a lot of hype, but I also know 3 people who have had an IMS failure. There's no guarantee that this bearing won't fail, but I really do feel better about driving the car long distances and on the track. Time will tell, but I'm hoping it's a good insurance policy for the next few years.

Dave - 06 987 S coupe SG/NL; gone (but still my first love): 03 986 AS/GG/BK;

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2012 08:40PM by Dave In MD. (view changes)
Clutch throwout bearing
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 5 June, 2012, at 8:30:47 am
As it wears, the clutch pedal becomes harder to push. And they sometimes start squeaking. It's a cheap part and very easy to replace once the transmission is out.

I would be ready to replace the clutch plate but at 100k it may well be be fine.

If the RMS is not leaking, I would not replace it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login