Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Boxster S mpg released
Laz - Tuesday, 5 June, 2012, at 5:03:11 pm
Not on the EPA site yet, but at Porsche's. Just recently read where the EPA doesn't test every car, but will accept the manufacturer's findings, so maybe this is why it's at Porsche.com first. Anyhow, a while ago I had done some extrapolating and came up with 28 mpg highway for the stick shift S... and that's what it is. Also: 20 city; PDK is 21 and 30. Not bad, eh? 98 more hp than the 217 hp 986 with the same and the same highway consumption. Them Germans, I'll tell ya!
the new Boxster.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Yeah: used 2012 Euro cycle to EPA to get a ratio to apply to the 2013 Euro numbers. And I really should proof read more carefully: "... with the same and the same..." Arrrrgh!
I recall the Metro Blue top would look almost like Seal Grey under sodium vapor lighting, so maybe the color combo will show value contrast in that light, as opposed to dark-on-dark in daylight.
and especially CO2 numbers in EU are very important and Porsche is like every other car maker struggling to find ways to improve fuel economy and lower CO2 emission and yet not render the car the equivalent of an electric shopping cart with a flat battery.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
My arrghing was about my crummy sentence structure, not anything you said. Hey, if anything, there's strength in numbers, right?
Just remembered! I got...
MarcW - Tuesday, 5 June, 2012, at 8:36:51 pm
I got a flyer in the mail today and it is about the new Boxster...

Opened it up and paged through it and on the last page is the fuel consumption numbers.

City MPG for the Boxster is 20/22 manual/pdk; S is 20/21 manual/pdk.

Highway MPG for the Boxster is 30/32 manual/pdk; S is 28/30 manual/pdk.

Combined MPG for the Boxster is 24/26 manual/pdk; S is 23/24 manual/pdk.

Fat roadsters suck so it is nice to see the weight is still 'low'... Boxster is 2888lbs/2954lbs manual/pdk; S weighs in at 2910lbs/2976lbs manual/pdk.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Boxster S mpg released
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 5 June, 2012, at 6:38:58 pm
28 mpg seems to be the magic number. Going and coming back home from BRBS, my 06 manual averaged 28.5 mpg and saw 30.5 mpg for one stretch. That's cruising at 75 - 80 mph. Now on the Diamondback, it was another story. grinning smiley 16 mpg and Permagrin didn't let up for a couple of days. hot smiley
Re: I Must Be a Gas Hog
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Tuesday, 5 June, 2012, at 9:55:59 pm
My "S" averaged 26mph (top up) on the way to the event and 27mph (top down) on the way back. That was driving 71-80mph in 7th gear using Cruise Control. I have an iPhone app that tracks my gas usage and that's where I got my numbers. Aren't my numbers a bit low?

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Re: I Must Be a Gas Hog
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 5 June, 2012, at 10:24:21 pm
KevinR-MedinaOhio
My "S" averaged 26mph (top up) on the way to the event and 27mph (top down) on the way back. That was driving 71-80mph in 7th gear using Cruise Control. I have an iPhone app that tracks my gas usage and that's where I got my numbers. Aren't my numbers a bit low?

Well, for one thing, you're driving an S. It will be a little more thirsty. I use the OBC to check mileage. I reset it at each fillup. I also keep track of my mileage and expenses for my business, using a spread sheet. It helps me keep tabs on how the car is performing. When I'm driving the Boxster, I never "watch" my gas mileage. I just like to know what's going on.

I'm not convinced that Cruise Control will help save gas, unless somebody is a really irratic driver. I mainly use cruise control on really long trips. Then only to give my right foot a break for a little while. I never did use it on the drive home (about 800 miles) on Sunday.
It was almost stultifying sitting for endless hours without much steering input, any braking, and both feet unnaturally on the floorboard. I had to do something.
Laz
It was almost stultifying sitting for endless hours without much steering input, any braking, and both feet unnaturally on the floorboard. I had to do something.

That's what they make iPods for. I listen to lots of tech, gaming, and Sci-fi podcasts on trips. Audio books would also work.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
KevinR-MedinaOhio
Laz

That's what they make iPods for. I listen to lots of tech, gaming, and Sci-fi podcasts on trips. Audio books would also work.

On those long treks (don't realy like that word - sounds like work), so let's say drives. I like to drive - which includes regular 360's (road, mirrors, gauges) then mentally calculate how long it will take to get to the next point. Check the sounds and the sights, 360's again. Nebraska there are some nice wide open stretches with long views ahead, open roof to check the sky with chances to open it up for some "stretching of the legs", all the while conducting the orchestra with feet and hands. ...ahhh, that Symphony in Flat Six. I seldomly ever turn the secondary stereo on. I much prefer the primary one.

Ever drive to Kamloops? *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 6 June, 2012, at 11:13:54 am
Not to, but through
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 6 June, 2012, at 1:14:08 pm
about 1970 on a BC trip.

Here was my ride at the time. Here with that big old tree in Vancouver's Stanley Park.

Last time I was in BC was 2001. At that time, they had the opening of the tree blocked off so people couldn't drive into it any more. Drove through the northern States then from Vancouver up to Prince George, so missed Kamloops driving up 97 along the Frazer River. Beautiful drive.

Is that your neck of the woods?
A Ghia! Nice.
Laz - Wednesday, 6 June, 2012, at 2:01:02 pm
Never there, but was invited by a girl I met in Amsterdam back in '80. She would never tell me if she had a boyfriend, and I wasn't going to take 3 plane rides getting there just to be a third wheel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login