Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Pulled the trigger
garyinseattle - Monday, 11 June, 2012, at 2:48:37 pm
After months, maybe even years, I finally pulled the trigger and traded my Boxster:

[i1133.photobucket.com]

For a 997 S:

[i1133.photobucket.com]

I will post thoughts after I put a few more miles on it. Initial thoughts are that you cannot overstate the amount of additional torque you get from the 3.8 liter motor. I have already found myself sideways in a corner on my favorite on-ramp. Interior is much more upscale, mine has the full leather option, and the car is just more serious in Everyway....stiffer clutch, transmission ect.

I do miss the smoother ride of the Boxster, especially since I put new Porsche rated (N?) PS2's on it.

In the meantime, I will continue to cruise this forum. My last question for the group is does anyone know of a forum for 911's that is as good as this one?
Nice. Questions and suggestions...
Laz - Monday, 11 June, 2012, at 3:25:33 pm
Agate Grey, yes? When you went sideways did you have PSM on? Suggestions: check planet-9, renntech, and rennlist.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Best guess: only from the 991, 992, 981, 982, etc. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 11 June, 2012, at 8:02:56 pm
For 911/997 forums the one I visit once in a while is rennlist.

[forums.rennlist.com]

There's a 997 section that as the number of these cars sold increases appears to be growing in its participation.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Really nice, great color too! *NM*
DougW - Monday, 11 June, 2012, at 7:03:03 pm
Re: Pulled the trigger
Rev Dennis - Thursday, 14 June, 2012, at 10:27:55 am
pelicanparts.com is a good 911 site also.
Thanks for the Good Times
garyinseattle - Thursday, 14 June, 2012, at 2:56:41 pm
Thanks for the suggestions and the past 5 years of advise. Since so much of this board is dedicated to P cars in general, I plan to check back on a regular basis.
We welcome all Porsche enthusiasts ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 14 June, 2012, at 3:00:53 pm
... even those who downgrade to 911s winking smiley
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Congrats man - that is terrific!
Gundo - Thursday, 14 June, 2012, at 11:49:45 am
I swtiched from a 2000 Boxster S to a 2006 Carrera S Cab back in 2007 and have loved it. My issue was more about space - at 6'2", I just didn't fit in the Boxster. I'll tell you though, when I sat in the new 981S at BRBS, I was pretty blown away. Yes car is bigger, heavier and far more luxury than the 987 or 987, but I fit in there perfectly, and my noggin was below the roll-bar. So now the 981 is on my list, for sure.

I love the Carrera S, and love the cab. With top down and wind blocker in, there is no substitute - the wind management is far better on the 997 than the 986 or 987. Performance and handling are not better or worse, just different. Take it to the track, spend some time with it sideways, and learn all about trailing throttle oversteer and the limits of the car. I find that most 911 drivers I speak with are afraid to get anywhere near the limit of the car - it will absolutely tell you before it spins, there is no instant spin anymore unless the road is wet and greasy and your tires suck - ask me how I know. My boxster was less progressive at the limit, and felt like it could go from all in to all out in the blink of an eye.

As for performance, you can pretty easily take it from 355hp to 400hp, as even with the additional power over the 986, you'll want more eventually. I started with Softronic ECU flash, larger intake, X-51 headers, 200 cell cats and freer flowing exhaust. All in all, it was worked well.

You should check out 6speedonline.com - they have a decent forum, though more show than go, and rennlist is awesome.

Good luck and enjoy. And yes, do a google for the "gundo hack" You can't go wrong.

And yes, some things are quite a bit more complex - such as the top mechanism!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login