Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Front tire outside edge cupping question
MikenOH - Saturday, 16 June, 2012, at 11:45:25 am
The GY F1 Asym on the car have more than a few miles on them--close to 20K on the fronts--and a few track events, when either the weather was too cold or wet for the track tries.
Anyway, they have worn well--8/32" on the fronts--but I noticed a bit of cupping on the outside blocks, with the trailing edge of the tread block lower than the leading edge
I can't say I notice any real wobbling or odd feedback in the steering, but the wear looks unusual. The left is more pronounced than right--if track related this would tie to two tracks where I 've used them which have more right hands turns.

Question:
Could this be a track related wear pattern or does this sound like something related to alignment/balancing ?

thanks for any help.
In your case ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 16 June, 2012, at 12:50:59 pm
.... I'll venture a guess that the cupping is due to the track use.
Generally cheap tires tend to cup or scallop during street use but your GY F1s aren't cheap.
Nevertheless they are street tires not intended for heavy track use.
Another cause for tire scalloping is a faulty (bouncy) suspension.
If you are running your car on the track with street-tuned suspension it can cause the bouncy effect.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
... they completely vanished :-)

I have seen, under heavy cornering and scrubbing, the trailing edge of the tread block, which abuts the void (and thus is unsupported), scrapes off.

Or that's my theory on why it happens. But it does happen.

How much negative camber do you have?

Grant

ps: my yokos held up fairly well at T-Bolt whcih is also very tight through the "octopus"

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login