Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
My friend's Boxster has a P1126 (Porsche code 356) on Cylinders 1-3, WHICH I BELIEVE IS THE DRIVER'S SIDE. That said, is there a way to tell by codes, or a continuity check of sensor leads; or does it require, eg, swapping sensors left to right, etc?

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 01:04PM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz
My friend's Boxster has a P1126 (Porsche code 356) on Cylinders 1-3, WHICH I BELIEVE IS THE DRIVER'S SIDE. That said, is there a way to tell by codes, or a continuity check of sensor leads; or does it require, eg, swapping sensors left to right, etc?

Cylinders 1-3 are passenger side on a US spec car.
You can swap front-to-back and many times that takes care of the code.
The lambda sensors are the same but the Pre-cat ones wear out faster because of the extra heat.
By swapping them pre to post cat you can extend their life.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
At first I thought it could be confusion stemming from LHD/RHD orientation, but is there that much influence from British sources?
Apparently, there's no code indication for pre- or post cat differentiation.
He cleared the code and I had him swap the left/right pre-cat sensors to see if the opposite bank code would show up. No check engine light with initial start up. We went for a 30 mile drive, stopping and starting a few times and so far CE light at all. It might take a few cycles for a new code to be thrown, if at all, yes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2012 05:21PM by Laz. (view changes)
The distinction needs to be made ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Monday, 18 June, 2012, at 9:01:04 am
... regarding the vehicle type.
We were obviously referring to the Boxster which in US spec has Bank 1 (cylinders 1-3) on the passenger's side.
The Caymans being Boxster-based follow the same orientation, but...
The Carreras, having their engine reversed also reverses the orientation of the cylinder banks.
Happy Porscheing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
While on my 02 Boxster they are both narrow band sensors the leads are different lengths and thus the sensors are not interchangeable at least not without modifying the leads.

In some models, the #1 and #2 sensors are different types (wide band, narrow band) and are not interchangeable.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
It's my old car and my friend has all the invoices, including those for the sensors. Years ago, over time, all four were replaced with dealer supplied units. I wonder if the part numbers indicate only lead lengths, or if the 2001 base Boxster had the different bandwidth types.

Laz
It's my old car and my friend has all the invoices, including those for the sensors. Years ago, over time, all four were replaced with dealer supplied units. I wonder if the part numbers indicate only lead lengths, or if the 2001 base Boxster had the different bandwidth types.

That is my 02 has identical sensors front and rear but the leads are different lengths. IIRC the #2 sensors may work iin the #1 position but the wiring lead will not be long enough to be routed correctly.

The part numbers I believe are you guessed: Just different because the lead lengths are different.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
when the 2.7 motor went from 217 to 228 hp.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login