Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
981 test
Alberta Alex - Monday, 18 June, 2012, at 11:33:33 pm
I, along with three other members of our local PCA club tested the 981 S on Saturday. We all came back with essentially the same view. The 981 has upgraded the materials in the interior, it has more room inside, nicer interior hardware, etc. It also handles very well with seamless power delivery. All around, a definite improvement in most things.

However, rather than restate the nice things that others have said about the 981, I'd like to ask what others thought of the cockpit turbulence at highway speeds. All four of us felt there was much more turbulence in the 981 compared to 986s and 987s. Could this be due to the fabric windstop not being as efficient as the plexiglass windstop in previous cars. Or could it be the shape of the windows? They appear to have a great deal more space between the back of the window and the rollbar, thus creating a channel across the cockpit at head height that allows cross winds to be more prevalent. Also, again at highway speeds, with the top down (is there any other way of driving?) if you lower the window the seat belt vibrates a great deal. For a couple of the guys, the increased turbulence and the vibrating seatbelts were enough to cross the 981 off their list of cars to buy. Three of the guys are going to 997s or 991s. One of the guys will wait until the Cayman comes out before he decides on his direction.

Comments?
Re: 981 test
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 18 June, 2012, at 11:42:59 pm
Alberta Alex
I, along with three other members of our local PCA club tested the 981 S on Saturday. We all came back with essentially the same view. The 981 has upgraded the materials in the interior, it has more room inside, nicer interior hardware, etc. It also handles very well with seamless power delivery. All around, a definite improvement in most things.

However, rather than restate the nice things that others have said about the 981, I'd like to ask what others thought of the cockpit turbulence at highway speeds. All four of us felt there was much more turbulence in the 981 compared to 986s and 987s. Could this be due to the fabric windstop not being as efficient as the plexiglass windstop in previous cars. Or could it be the shape of the windows? They appear to have a great deal more space between the back of the window and the rollbar, thus creating a channel across the cockpit at head height that allows cross winds to be more prevalent. Also, again at highway speeds, with the top down (is there any other way of driving?) if you lower the window the seat belt vibrates a great deal. For a couple of the guys, the increased turbulence and the vibrating seatbelts were enough to cross the 981 off their list of cars to buy. Three of the guys are going to 997s or 991s. One of the guys will wait until the Cayman comes out before he decides on his direction.

Comments?

That's interesting. I haven't had a chance to drive one yet. It's something I'll watch out for when I do get the chance. since we do a lot of long distance driving in our Boxster. I seldomly have the windows up, even on the highway as long as temps are 60+.

Did you drive a manual or PDK?
Alberta Alex - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 12:15:55 am
All six cars were PDKs. Although I can see the advantages of the PDK on the track, I'm still an old school clutch guy. A manual may not be as quick but I feel it's much more fun....I feel more connected to the car.
Porsche really appears to be flogging the PDK
Roger987 - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 9:03:54 am
Can't help but wonder how many years remain before Porsche and BMW pull the plug on manuals...

Unless there's a solution, the cockpit turbulence issue would be a deal breaker for me. If I had to drive with the top up most of the time, I'd likely be in a fixed-roof 997S.
'was a time when there wasn't no windstops for convertibles!
Laz - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 9:21:52 am
And folks di'n't roll up the side windows. Maybe I'll wind up eating my words, (and maybe some bugs, too,) but how bad could the turbulence be?
Concerning the PDK, I've already wondered if the less readable silver-faced tach for the S is a subtle hint that the instrument won't be necessary sometime in the future.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Good point. Maybe they'll buy out VW yet. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 10:23:37 am
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 10:07:15 am
If the windstop is sub-standard, that means there's also an after-market opportunity for a plexiglass replacement. Ohhhh, Pedro! smiling bouncing smiley

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Luca Brasi expresses his sentiments:
[www.youtube.com]

db997S - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 11:16:49 am
I'm not sure the turbulance issue is related to the non-plexiglass windscreen of the new Boxster. My 2009 997S Cab has the mannually installed screened windblock and it has considerably less turbulance than either of my Boxsters ('98 and '02) had. In fact, even with the windscreen in place and the windows down, my 911 has less turbulance in the cabin than my Boxsters had with the windscreen in place and windows down. Something must be off with windflow and the new design. Now, your theory about more space behind the seats could be the issue. The 911 designed windscreen protects vertically behind the head and horizontially behind the seats (think "L" shapped). This stops wind from many different angles. So, the back "seats" are covered with the screen in place. The vertical screen is pretty close to the back of the front seats. So much so, you can't really recline front seats with it in place.
I find that wind turbulance on the highway
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 11:42:52 am
is also effected by the direction of the wind. A cross wind on the highway will cause much more turbulence, so you'd need to test both cars under similar conditions, going in the same direction.
C'mon, Guenter
Roger987 - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 12:17:27 pm
There may now be at least a hint of a reason for us to hang onto our 987's and our $ .

Don't spoil the party. drinking smiley
Re: C'mon, Guenter
Gary in SoFL - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 1:12:44 pm
Too late for the G-man, Roger cool smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 1:55:43 pm
Gary in SoFL
Too late for the G-man, Roger cool smiley

It's never too late. smiling smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 19 June, 2012, at 1:54:31 pm
Roger987
There may now be at least a hint of a reason for us to hang onto our 987's and our $ .

Don't spoil the party. drinking smiley

I'd never do a thing like that. cool smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login