Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Porsche no comment.

Usual pricing vs Boxster and lack of hp comments to follow.
They couldn't put a sunroof in the original Cayman, they said, because of the slant of the roof. The new 911s and Boxsters have a more steeply raked front windshield which produces a difference in the roof angle. so maybe this will change the Cayman roof in such a way as to accommodate a sunroof.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Interesting it is a priority to you
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 3:18:13 pm
as I have paid extra to have a sunroof in each of our current cars only because they come in a package and you can't get the car without one. Neither has been opened more than once.

100 in the golf car today.
Re: Interesting it is a priority to you
MikenOH - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 4:33:18 pm
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC
as I have paid extra to have a sunroof in each of our current cars only because they come in a package and you can't get the car without one. Neither has been opened more than once.

100 in the golf car today.

Agreed; did this on a MB E class and an E90 BMW. Absolutely no cars were being imported without them and we rarely opened them.
For us, once we owned a convertible, the need for a sunroof in the other cars went away.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 4:45:10 pm
MikenOH

Agreed; did this on a MB E class and an E90 BMW. Absolutely no cars were being imported without them and we rarely opened them.
For us, once we owned a convertible, the need for a sunroof in the other cars went away.

For me it was the opposite. Once I owned a convertible (my 68 Karmann Ghia) and had to go back to a larger car with steel roof, I couldn't live without a sunroof. Maybe it's just being without the sun for so long in Winter, that we northerners really appreciate the sun once it comes out again and want to get as much as we can. Unless it's really hot and muggy, I prefer fresh air to AC any day.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
db997S - Thursday, 21 June, 2012, at 3:08:50 pm
Here in DC, which still may be northern to many folks I guess, I prefer my fixed-topped cars to have a sunroof. The glass ones are nicer because they let in light during winter. Give me wide open sky up top any day. Interesting, though, I've never had the desire to have skylights in my house.
The first car I ever owned with a sunroof was my 2000 Honda Civic daily drive to compliment by 1999 Boxster (first time that I owned 2 cars). I found that I liked the sunroof for many reasons (as others have posted). I can let the light in in the winter, but also I like the control of opening/closing it and the windows at any time at any speed. I found in the Civic that with the windows and sunroof open, there was a very airy, open, breezy feeling. Of course I had that with the Boxster, but the up and down issues with the hack, needing to be stopped with the brake on, etc. made it a hassle. With my 2008 and top up/down under 30 mph, I do open the top much more, but I find that I am not as committed a top-downer as many. i prefer it up on the highway to eliminate traffic noise. I prefer it up when the sun is directly overhead and shines into my eyes over my glasses (I much prefer not wearing a hat if the top is down). So, 60 degrees and over in the morning or evening I really do enjoy lowing the top. But, with a sunroof, it would be open almost all of the time.

I was in the camp about 10 years ago that voiced interest here in a Boxster coupe. I guess the main reason was structural rigidity. I no longer do DE or autox, and I was no Mario, but the idea of even better handling was of interest. I put a deposit down at my dealer a year before the Cayman was available, but pulled it back as soon as I learned that it would not have a sunroof (and that it would cost $5K more than the cabrio!!!) So, bottom line (for me of course, and maybe a few others), the idea of having a Boxster coupe (aka Cayman) with a sunroof is intriguing. Cruising at 70, finally getting away from city traffic, push 3 buttons and both windows are down, the sun is shining in, and I'll be enveloped in breeze. Nice. The only downside I see is the loss of added visibility when the Boxster's top is down. Gotta say, that is nice.
You guys must be in the majority
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Friday, 22 June, 2012, at 8:57:59 am
I lived in NOVA and in NC and I'd pay to delete the sunroof (costs headroom). I too put up the Boxster's top for any drive of more than 15 minutes on the highway at speeds. I've driven top down in rain, snow, etc and it is either all or nothing with me. Though I guess the snow was with a toneau cover in my Alfa and maybe in the 914. Which means I was younger.

But the marketeers know you all are the majority.
Sunroof +1 on Cayman
AS2003 - Friday, 22 June, 2012, at 7:24:47 pm
Agreed-- if the new Cayman had a glass sunroof option I think I would seriously consider getting on the waiting list now. It's a shame they are introducing the Cayman so late in the year.
For sure different strokes for different folks, some may like the Cayman better. Even though I don't much like the rear view of the Boxster (don't hate it, it is just not inspiring), I less like the mid to rear transition in the Cayman. It will be interesting to see how the new side vents work in both cars. I think it will look great in the Boxser and it may help the Cayman.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login