Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hey, I got to drive to Toronto for a PCA social held at one of the dealers this evening. Except for the traffic on the way down sad smiley . It was a great drive, top down 95 F. Had some German sausages to go with the German cars and chatted with some friends.

They had an Agate Grey 981S in the showroom. Hard to tell with the lighting, but it sure looked rich. Kind of like Seal Grey with some chocolate thrown in. If it had been a desert, it would have had at least 10,000 calories.

Discovered what that line is that runs from the back wheel arch to the door frame (the section that has the air intake) It's made of plastic like the bumper covers - one piece that includes the rocker panel section. That should help prevent stone chips without using the rough undercoating material that the current cars have. So there's no 3M piece to protect the paint behind the intake.

Headed home at sunset. With the roads finally opening up a bit, got to do a bit of 85 at 85. That's what roadsters are made for. Windows and top down enjoying the wind, the sounds of the road all accompanied to the sound the Symphony in Flat Six. Life is good. cool smiley
Re: PCA social this evening with a new 981 in the showroom
Laz - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 12:41:46 am
I think whatever lighting your dealer has is adding a cast to the color. An Agate car at the NY Auto Show had the same perceptual problem due to the garish lighting, though it didn't have a warm cast. Aside from looking at as many images as I could find on line, my dealer had a painted sample plastic bit which I examined in daylight. The brochure has color chips that are a lot more accurate than anything printed in four color process, but all the colors look somewhat darker than they should be in situ. (The white sample has a slight yellow cast, for example.) I don't think a brown cast would work well with the blue top and interior I ordered, which is why I stayed away from Platinum, although near as I can tell it's fairly neutral. Come to think of it, unless you had absolute confirmation the car was Agate, I'd bet it was actually Anthracite Brown Metallic. There was one of these at the auto show and it is very close to neutral, which seems to match what you're describing.
Here's the image from Porsche's Boxster Microsite:
[special.porsche.com]
And Agate Grey Metallic:
[special.porsche.com]

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2012 12:53AM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz
I think whatever lighting your dealer has is adding a cast to the color. An Agate car at the NY Auto Show had the same perceptual problem due to the garish lighting, though it didn't have a warm cast. Aside from looking at as many images as I could find on line, my dealer had a painted sample plastic bit which I examined in daylight. The brochure has color chips that are a lot more accurate than anything printed in four color process, but all the colors look somewhat darker than they should be in situ. (The white sample has a slight yellow cast, for example.) I don't think a brown cast would work well with the blue top and interior I ordered, which is why I stayed away from Platinum, although near as I can tell it's fairly neutral. Come to think of it, unless you had absolute confirmation the car was Agate, I'd bet it was actually Anthracite Brown Metallic. There was one of these at the auto show and it is very close to neutral, which seems to match what you're describing.

I asked one of the salesmen and he said it was Agate Grey. As I said though, lighting wasn't that bright, so it was difficult to tell. It's always hard to tell with colours unless you see them out in daylight.

I checked afterward and found the dealer doesn't have any 981's listed on their website yet. So it would appear that many, if not all dealers already have one or two in stock, which makes sense since they can't deliver a couple of Boxsters to every dealer in NA on June 29th.

.....and no, I'm not suggesting that you drive down to your dealer and have a look around. winking smiley
Guenter in Ontario
.....and no, I'm not suggesting that you drive down to your dealer and have a look around. winking smiley

Drive down????

Laz and Lawdevil are camped out at their dealerships, waiting, waiting, waiting......... smiling bouncing smiley

BTW, I've seen a Platinum 991 Cab with a blue top and interior.....stunning! I'm sure a 981 Agate (Seal) Gray/blue/blue, will be as well. smileys with beer

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
My DD is now a 12 y.o. Yukon (my smelly fishing truck). After a Boxster, driving the mountain roads in a Yukon is the equivalent of water-boarding. OTOH, at least I can smoke my smelly cigars in it.
Still about 5 weeks till delivery - if I'm lucky.
mike

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Thanks, Guenter. It ought to be the lighting then.
Laz - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 9:35:32 am
When I took delivery of my 2001, it was in the dealer's shop area that had mercury vapor lighting. It was shocking to see the "wrong" color; almost a BMW-like blue gray, rather than Seal. The blue top looked ok, but later on, under sodium vapor lighting, the top would turn a medium gray that interestingly just about matched the paint.

Laz I agree with Guenter saw the Agate Grey
DougW - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 9:17:43 am
Last night, it was an amazing color, if it was a stick the Gman would have taken delivery right on the spot and driven it home!
To you did Agate look neutral or have a warm cast? *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 9:38:47 am
I would say neutral, the photo of agate you
DougW - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 9:52:04 am
posted is a good representation of the color in person, I really like it
And so: The ayes have it. (Both sets of them!) *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 10:11:21 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login