Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
AC question(s)
ericp - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 6:54:38 pm
So just curious about AC recharging. Several options available and I am wondering if one is better than the other.
  • Auto store recharge kit ~$20
  • Local repair shop ~$50
  • Indy shop $?
  • Porsche dealer $?

Not that cost is the decider, but I've recharged many cars over the years using auto shop kits, seem to work ok, but are the other methods better? Better r134a or process or both? I need to recharge the system and am seeking thoughts and comments.

Thanks,
-Eric
Re: AC question(s)
bar10dah - Wednesday, 20 June, 2012, at 8:52:33 pm
Recharge with a can of UV dye, then find the leak that's causing you having to recharge? Could be as simple as an o-ring. Hopefully... winking smiley

The compressor went out in my '93 GMC. Bad bearings. Firestone said $1,200 to replace it. I didn't even bother with the dealer, but expect them to be the same, if not more. I changed it out myself, along with the orifice tube and accumulator, for ~$350 in parts from local auto parts store. Then charged with an R-134a conversion kit. Never had a problem with it again for the next 10 years I owned that truck.

I wonder if the a/c recharging systems that shops use are in fact better since they pull a vacuum on the system and purge it of atmospheric air?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login