Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Looking for two oddball parts....anyone?
grant - Sunday, 24 June, 2012, at 2:52:19 pm
1. I lost the spring clip that retains the pin that holds the brake pad retainer spring in place int he back of my MY2004 boxster (non-S).

Where can i get just that clip? For now a piece of copper solid 16 awg wire is doing the trick, but that's inconvenient and not perfect.

2. A longer metal tow hook. Simply a longer shaft - i want to use existing hardware to clamp my GoPro to it for track use. I tried a friend's tow hook, may or may not have been stock, from a 964 and it was about1.5-2" longer between the bumper face and the eye. This is perfect. not l;ooking to buy the $150 solution from B-K.

Thanks, all

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
1. You mean the little cotter pin that goes thru a tiny hole in the big caliper retaining pin, right? You might try a hardware store with a good bolts & screws department, and bring one from the other side with you, or bring the caliper pin with you to match the cotter pin hole size to. I think I saw a selection of cotter pins in Home Depot's hardware section recently. If you mean the larger H-shaped spring clip (at least that's what I call it) then that's a part that comes with the Porsche/Brembo "retaining pin kit" 996.352.959.xx (for 986) which includes the retaining pin, cotter pin, and spring clip. These parts seem to last forever but don't cost much to replace every few years.
link to parts at Pelican
link to parts at Paragon
(verify year/model compatibility)

2. There are lots of aftermarket tow hook replacements (try Rennline.com) but they are pricey ($50-150 ish) compared to the factory part ($20 ish). I would think the factory hook has enough "shelf space" to hold the GoPro, but if you buy a spare you could probably modify it as needed. What about putting something like a little dowel in the hook hole so that you can tighten it with fewer turns and therefore more extension? (Since you aren't using it to tow, just to hold the GoPro.)
Correct, i mean the "its not a cotter pin, pin"
grant - Sunday, 24 June, 2012, at 7:19:24 pm
That's the problem... a cotter pin is a straight split pin. The Porsche one is not, its a very nice, convenient, easy-to-re-use shape fit to that retaining pin.

It comes in the kit with the H-shaped part and the Pin ($40), but i dont see it alone.

I'll look in HD, but i'm not optimistic.

Grant

Grant

I don't think it's sold separately
Boxsterra - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 12:03:40 am
but regular cotter pins are a dime a dozen (you can get a pack of 555 on eBay for $7). Why worry about getting the Porsche one?

FWIW, the one Porsche uses is called an "r-clip" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-clip), aka "hairpin cotter" and they are readily available elsewhere. You can probably get them at ACE Hardware, for example.
Thanks very much!
grant - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 11:44:29 am
You saved me going down blind alleys. I'll either get cotter pins, or, if i can find them at ACE, Home Despot, etc, ... R clips.

plus i now have a vocabulary one word larger.

Grant

Grant

Now, how about that tow hook....? *NM*
grant - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 11:44:57 am
Grant

Here
Boxsterra - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 3:59:56 pm
Rennline 6-inch tow hook

[www.autoatlanta.com]

Also, the Panamera one looks longer

[www.ebay.com]

(not sure if it fits the Boxster but it's hopeful)
One of them will work! And fit.

Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login