Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I drove a 981 briefly this weekend. Here's my quick review for those that are interested:

1. PDK surprised me, but only in sport plus mode while using the paddle-shifters and driving hard. Under those conditions it was very impressive (like a Ferrari California). I'm not ready to abandon the manual yet, but it's nice to know the PDK is getting better and better.
2. It looks even better (and bigger) in person. Definitely more exotic, too.
3. The rear deck is very high, making rear visibility worse than the 987. It surprisingly made me feel a little claustrophobic, but I'm sure I would probably get used to it.
4. The steering... I'm sure this will get better as they develop it, but the steering in my 987.5 felt more exotic and special when I departed in it. Having said that, the 981 steering felt like just about any other nice car on the road. I'm sure people new to the brand will be quite happy with it. For the rest of us, I hope they offer some sort of GT3 sport steering as an option, because this is not the "feel every crevice of the road" hydraulic steering I have come to love.
5. It is much quieter with the top up. That's a big plus in my book.
6. Build quality is on an entirely different level. It felt several generations removed from the 987.5. Everything about the car felt higher quality, especially opening and closing the doors.
7. Trunk Space- I think there is actually more usable front and rear trunk space than the 987. The trunks appear to be deeper. This surprised me, as the photos made them look smaller to me.
8. The power seats are quite nice (I have the base seats in my 987).
9. I did not "feel speed" in this car like I do in the 987. I remember having the same thought when I moved from the 986 to the 987, but that felt evolutionary. This felt revolutionary. You need to watch the speedometer as you'll be going far faster than you probably think.
10. Driving the 981 PDK S made me anxious to drive a manual version of the car, as well as hope the Cayman 981 pricing does not get too crazy.

In closing, I think Porsche is going to sell a ton of 981s. While the launch cars at $80K might be tougher to move, base Boxsters optioned smartly in the mid-fifties could almost seem like a "good deal." Finally, the high quality and refinement of the 981 left me thinking it would now be especially easy for Porsche to sell the "baby-boxster" they have been talking about for years...they could just repackage the 986.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2012 05:18PM by AS2003. (view changes)
Thanks for the comments. The only thing that surprises me after reading about the steering, etc. is that the build quality seems so noticeable. Had a 99 base, now a 987. I find my 987 build to be terrific, but some of that may be due to the all leather interior. I would not spend the money on all leather, didn't spec my 986 that way, but the 987 was off the lot. At $80k+ my guess is that the first arriving models are leather to show off quality. I wonder if the base car sans leather will seem more 987-ish.

Looking forward to more reviews as folks test drive and buy them.
First, thanks for the review. Very helpful to hear from someone who's driven all three generations.

I'm interested in whether you noticed any adverse interior wind buffeting with the top down, which was mentioned here a few days ago.

Second, like Bob, I have a full-leather 987 - the interior feels very rich. I'll be interested in a comparison of a 981 base interior to the 987's full leather. That being said, you mentioned the sound of the doors closing being much improved, so perhaps it's more than simply interior materials.

Regarding steering, I love the steering feel of my 987. I just got back from a 5000+ mile trip and not once did the steering feel twitchy or nervous. It feels perfect. My 987 has 17" wheels with 235 and 205 tires. Perhaps wider tires follow road irregularities more. From everything I've read, Porsche did an excellent job with its electric steering; sadly, BMW made a mess of its.

The single biggest functional improvement I made so far has been the custom steering wheel reshaping/recovering. Huge difference. Huge. Wish I'd done it years ago.

(I'll install the factory short-shift kit within the week, and judging from Guenter's comments about his B&M kit, I'll love this upgrade too.)
"custom steering wheel reshaping/recovering"?
Bobtesa - Sunday, 24 June, 2012, at 9:31:16 pm
Roger, what is this? I don't ever recall it being discussed here. So, not only what is it, but what do you like about it? What did it cost? Is it dyi? Thanks in advance.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Re: "custom steering wheel reshaping/recovering"?
Roger987 - Sunday, 24 June, 2012, at 10:41:00 pm
Here's the link to the posts:

[pedrosboard.com]

I can't remember the finished price. It varies, depending on the options chosen.

I supplied my steering wheel, they removed the factory leather, installed new padding and thumbrests and new leather. I removed and reinstalled the wheel myself.
Thanks for the comments.

The 981 I drove did not have the full leather option or the enhanced electric steering option.

Per the build quality: My comment was focused more on my sense that the general build quality of the vehicle was significantly better. All of the moving pieces just felt precise and especially solid in comparison to the 987 (& 986). This was most noticeable when opening and closing the doors.

Per the Buffeting: I too read the wind-stop comment someone else posted about the 981. Unfortunately, I drove the car with the top up so I can't speak to the buffeting. The new wind-stop is semi-transparent, and not a clear piece like we have grown used to with the 986/987. Again, that combined with the high rear deck, made rearward visibility seem worse than our 987/986s.

Looking forward to reviews by others. Feel free to post any other questions.
Some specifics of the 981S that I drove.

1. It was a cheap one, only $81K MSRP, without all leather but it did have 14 way power seats. Black interior was still top notch.

2. PDK was very smooth and fun shifting manually on the way up, but I never got the hang of it shifting down.

3. The build quality was outstanding, with the top up it's very quiet, with the top down wind was no worse than my 986.

4. Another 981S had the two tone (light gray, dark gray) all leather interior and the stitching detail and quality were spectacular. It's definitely got more leg and hip room.

5. Power was excellent and acceleration, with automatic shifts, was very smooth. It did not have the low speed power steering boost option and I don't know why it would be needed.

6. I noticed no issue with the rear visibility with the top up or down, and the standard electric steering was fine.

7. Check out the back up lights in the center of the light bar. Very cute.

If a loaded 981S is in the mid $80K range, a Cayman S will be about the same cost as a 991 with similar equipment. An enigma for PCNA, I suspect. The 981S is a very nice package, in it's loaded form it's overpriced, and while I like it I didn't come away with a "gotta have it" urge, and driving away in my 986 was very satisfying.

Laz will love the Agate Silver. thumbs up I look forward to seeing pictures of it with it's blue top and interior. A white 981S with a blue top and interior, on the showroom floor, was stunning. A red one, with a red interior, was less so.

YMMV

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I agree that the Cayman price is getting perilously close to the base 911- probably within around $15,000 after pricing of the Cayman is released. However, the Boxster is still a "bargain" compared to a base 911 Cab. I priced out a Cab with the same options I have ordered and it came to about $35,000 more than what I am paying. Basically, that $35,000 gets you virtually no performance gain (both have the same 0-60 times, according to Porsche); the only real advantage (other than "prestige" of a 911) I see to the base 911 Cab is a back seat (but no rear trunk) and two extra dials on the dash. I prefer the styling of the Boxster - but that is only my admittedly subjective and prejudiced opinion. I might at least consider a 911 coupe over a Cayman, but no way would I think about a 911 Cab at that price differential..

Right now the differentials may be a little less since dealers are possibly giving a little more discount on the 991 while the 981 is brand new and in limited supply. Having said all of that, I've seen some pretty great discounts advertised on the remaining 997's still in stock.

Cheers,
mike

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Agate Silver might've been a great color. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 10:12:11 pm
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
It's not very metallic-y. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 11:57:58 am
Do you know if it had the Power Steering Plus option?
Laz - Sunday, 24 June, 2012, at 9:44:38 pm
Perhaps this option vs. the standard e-steering makes a "feel" difference, especially at low speeds where it boosts assist.

Thanks for the report
Boxsterra - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 9:02:20 am
At BRBS there was discussion about the trunk space, which many perceived as smaller than previous generations but in fact (acto. Porsche) the volume has not changed (still 9.9 cu ft).

981 specs:
[press.porsche.com]

987 specs:
[www.porsche.com]
Rear deck height
Laz - Monday, 25 June, 2012, at 10:35:11 am
At the NY Auto Show a friend pointed out that the rear trunk looked deeper, and that could be accounted for by a higher deck. I haven't seen a figure for the beltline height (and in comparison to the 986/7,) but there's factory information stating the seats (rails perhaps) sit lower on the floorpan. Yes, seat height is adjustable, but I'm just thinking this new "default" position might be the issue. One review mentions a difference in the roll bar shape. The overall height of the 981 is lower, but that's attributable in part or (wholly) to the change in the rake of the A-pillar.

About the trunk space
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 8:53:51 am
Having seen the 981 at BRBS and from the comments here. I'm wondering if the rear trunk space is in fact the same, just that the shape is different.

I'd have to put the two cars side by side, but wondering if the rear fenders/trunk lid are a bit higher than the 987 resulting in a deeper trunk (I thought it looked deeper than mine.) but that the trunk is narrower both front to back and side to side.

The only way to check it out is to load the two trunks with the usuals that we take on a long trip.

Thanks for the report. Appreciate it since I haven't had a chance to drive one yet.
Re: About the trunk space
Laz - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 9:30:36 am
Hose a measured volume of water into each trunk. Maybe your dealer will let you try it on a demo.

Unless you're talking about bowling balls, not golf clubs.
Laz - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 11:56:29 am
I wonder what Furio Giunta would have to say about bowling.

Laz
I wonder what Furio Giunta would have to say about bowling.

"Pass the pasta" or "I leave three holes in all my work".

Re: About the trunk space
jwdbox - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 12:17:15 pm
Guenter in Ontario
Having seen the 981 at BRBS and from the comments here. I'm wondering if the rear trunk space is in fact the same, just that the shape is different.

I'd have to put the two cars side by side, but wondering if the rear fenders/trunk lid are a bit higher than the 987 resulting in a deeper trunk (I thought it looked deeper than mine.) but that the trunk is narrower both front to back and side to side.

The only way to check it out is to load the two trunks with the usuals that we take on a long trip.

Thanks for the report. Appreciate it since I haven't had a chance to drive one yet.
Hope to answer the trunk question this Thursday when SilverBox gets a chance to meet a 981 at our dealer reveal. I plan on bringing my golf clubs for an in vivo comparison.cool smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login