Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I found that had a tiny drip on my garage floor this past week near the back axle of my '01S. There were 4 spots by the passenger rear tire, and 1 spot near the driver rear tire.

I put it up on the lift on Sunday to investigate, and I found that the cylinder head was wet, on the pass. side, underneath the aft most sparkplug location. On the driver side, it looked like the leak was either the front or middle sparkplug area, the O2 sensor had caught one of the drips.

Funny thing is, it was dry last October (2011), when I decided to change out the plugs and tubes with new. My car had 90,000+ km on it, and I had bought it used in 2008.

I have Bosch plugs in there now, as well as 'Febi'/Bilstein tubes. The tubes I got (non-OEM) came with extra inner and outer seals. Today, I replaced the seals with the extras that came in the box. I lubed them with motor oil before putting them back in the engine. I do not have a pcar dealer near me, so I bought the replacement parts online from a non specific autoparts place.

Is the inside of the plug tube supposed to be bone dry? The ones I R/R'd today were a bit wet. A few drips of oil on the inside.

I'm wondering the wisdom of replacing the plug tubes as a maintenance item. It doesn't add a whole lot of time to a plug replacement, but if mine were dry when I did the plugs, maybe I should have just left them alone...How often do they fail?

Not a big deal, just wondering.

Peter
The inside of the tube should be completely dry. I would clean up the area around the tubes so that you can easily detect and locate any future problems.
Thx for comfirming the tube innards are supposed to be dry.... The tubes were intact when I removed them.... I just did the seals, cause for some reason, they included spares in the stuff I bought.... hmmmm.....

Peter
Be glad they did
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 8:24:31 am
The seals are a weak point so they're worth replacing when you are doing the tubes.
Re: Be glad they did
Petee_C - Tuesday, 26 June, 2012, at 8:47:24 am
There were already seals on the tubes I had purchased, and in the box was 1 spare of each (red large, black small)....

Yeah, I'm glad they did include the extra seals.

I don't recall if I lubed the seals with motor oil before r/r'ing the tubes the 1st time back in October. Maybe that's why they leaked. or as you said, they are a weak design.

P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login