Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Pitted front window after two years (22K miles)
db997S - Friday, 29 June, 2012, at 12:58:17 pm
I just had my front windshield replace on my car I picked up in Nov. 2009 with 22,436 miles. A rock chip turned into a crack. I wish I took a before and after shot as I never really noticed it before the replacement. I guess it was a gradual process. Simply amazed at how clear the view is now. I know Porsche needs to save weight, but wish they had some better glass. Can't imagine what the windshield of my old '98 Boxster looks like by now if it is still on the road. It probably looks like a sponge. I should start putting aside $10 per month so in 10 years I can replace it again ($1300 if insurance isn't involved).
Re: Pitted front window after two years (22K miles)
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 29 June, 2012, at 1:37:45 pm
db997S
I just had my front windshield replace on my car I picked up in Nov. 2009 with 22,436 miles. A rock chip turned into a crack. I wish I took a before and after shot as I never really noticed it before the replacement. I guess it was a gradual process. Simply amazed at how clear the view is now. I know Porsche needs to save weight, but wish they had some better glass. Can't imagine what the windshield of my old '98 Boxster looks like by now if it is still on the road. It probably looks like a sponge. I should start putting aside $10 per month so in 10 years I can replace it again ($1300 if insurance isn't involved).

If insurance isn't picking up the tab, it's about $450. There's an important lesson there!

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
I know, it sounds like a product that gets discovered under car seats on "Cops." Supposedly hardens the surface and makes it act like it's been treated with Rain-X. Gonna research it before having it done. Porsche windshields in my experience going back to a 66 912 are soft.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login