Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Rearward visibility.
Laz - Saturday, 30 June, 2012, at 2:25:21 pm
You all may've seen some reports of the rearward visibility being bad. It could be a matter of getting used to it. I don't think the height of the rear deck is the issue. Somehow the new roll bar style is a factor, and it'll take a direct comparison with a 986 to determine its effect. I think the mesh wind stop is the main factor: it's like looking through a perpetually dirty rear window. Here's an idea for an entrepreneurial craftsman: using the new style frame, replace the mesh with Lexan, like the old style's. (Attention Pedro!)
I was never the type to trust the right side door mirror on cars too much, but now I've got to get more proficient with it. I haven't arrived at the best horizontal orientation, but it seems there will always be a gap between the field of view given by the interior mirror and the side mirror, unless it's adjusted way too close to the flank of the car. I can see why those parking proximity sensors are becoming popular. Fortunately I don't anticipate having to worry about parallel parking much at all.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
How tall are you?
Boxsterra - Saturday, 30 June, 2012, at 2:34:43 pm
Perhaps you can raise the seat up a smidge to ameliorate the visibility issue.
Tweaked the steering wheel height, and I like it all the way forward. This consequentially helps the right hand drop off to the shifter. Also did a pretty decent adjustment of the door mirrors. Just barely overlapping with the inside mirror, but the wider, close up view is somewhat compromised. Doing this statically at home, not driving. Now I'm thinking even though the mesh should be Lexan, there's a comparative thickness or closeness of the roll bars that obstructs part of the straight back view. Won't be sure of this until I see my old 986 again.

Noticed that the redline spec is 7800, but the tach's first red increment is at 7600. Kind of academic anyway, as the horsepower peak is so much lower.

A real aside: the new rake of the windshield is very noticeable, and nice, although the dash top is now very wide. And boy, am I glad I went for the 3M coating: full hood, headlights, front apron, partial door mirrors, and it looks like a bit on the trailing edge of at least the front wheel wells. The headlight covering has plusses and minuses: protection is obvious, and in a few years I can peel it off and have fresh headlight surfaces. The possible downside is there's a change to the overall refractive index and maybe a touch of light loss. Then again, driving last night on country roads with the highs on created a huge archway of light that lit up everything.

When locking, the alarm gently beeps twice, instead of being silent unless there's an open hood, console, etc. Maybe it's a programmable thing I haven't found yet.

Getting used to the e brake, but it's a p.i.t.a.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login