Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
More observations
Laz - Monday, 2 July, 2012, at 7:26:24 pm
Drove on Staten Island today, and even with the road surface quality equivalent to Mogadishu's, the car did well.
The Sport button seems to be equivalent to a quarter to one fifth of a gear down for any given actual gear.
The PASM Sport setting has yet to be put through any paces, but it seems to allow more road texture to come through, but not affect lower frequency irregularities. Of course, each manual setting has a range of automated damping. In moderate corners/esses I didn't notice much difference in the way of overall roll, but the "set" the car takes is different. Maybe it's my imagination, but it's as if I can tell that each shock takes on its own level of damping.
I feel nothing lacking in the e-steering, and if anything, it, along with perhaps the longer wheelbase, wider track, and bigger (?) rolling circumference make the car track supremely well at any speed.
Got the mirrors adjusted pretty well, but there's still a bit of an issue when blending into traffic that's coming from behind-right at a "reversed" fork.
Getting used to the mesh, but realize one can't discern LE as well. (As these cars become more numerous, I hope someone makes a Lexan replacement. I'd buy it.)
No bs relatives all loved the color combination, and it is looking better to me by the day. (Agate / Yachting Blue / blue top)
The seat ventilation is very effective, with or without AC, and top down. With the old car, I know I would've had a sweaty back.
Not that it's a big deal for a Porsche owner, but I broke well over 500 miles since taking delivery.
I haven't felt like or bothered to eat a single morsel since yesterday, having only plain water, but I think it's another restaurant night.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Re: More observations
jwdbox - Monday, 2 July, 2012, at 7:53:40 pm
Laz, thanks for the update. However I would be remiss for not expressing concern on your substituting Permagrin for nourishment winking smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 2 July, 2012, at 8:12:37 pm
jwdbox
Laz, thanks for the update. However I would be remiss for not expressing concern on your substituting Permagrin for nourishment winking smiley

Who need nourishment when you can have Permagrin. winking smiley grinning smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 2 July, 2012, at 8:10:53 pm
Laz
Drove on Staten Island today, and even with the road surface quality equivalent to Mogadishu's, the car did well.
The Sport button seems to be equivalent to a quarter to one fifth of a gear down for any given actual gear.
The PASM Sport setting has yet to be put through any paces, but it seems to allow more road texture to come through, but not affect lower frequency irregularities. Of course, each manual setting has a range of automated damping. In moderate corners/esses I didn't notice much difference in the way of overall roll, but the "set" the car takes is different. Maybe it's my imagination, but it's as if I can tell that each shock takes on its own level of damping.
I feel nothing lacking in the e-steering, and if anything, it, along with perhaps the longer wheelbase, wider track, and bigger (?) rolling circumference make the car track supremely well at any speed.
Got the mirrors adjusted pretty well, but there's still a bit of an issue when blending into traffic that's coming from behind-right at a "reversed" fork.
Getting used to the mesh, but realize one can't discern LE as well. (As these cars become more numerous, I hope someone makes a Lexan replacement. I'd buy it.)
No bs relatives all loved the color combination, and it is looking better to me by the day. (Agate / Yachting Blue / blue top)
The seat ventilation is very effective, with or without AC, and top down. With the old car, I know I would've had a sweaty back.
Not that it's a big deal for a Porsche owner, but I broke well over 500 miles since taking delivery.
I haven't felt like or bothered to eat a single morsel since yesterday, having only plain water, but I think it's another restaurant night.

So, sounds like another benefit of owning a 981 is weight loss. grinning smiley

Based on my observation, I'd agree with you about the lexan option to replace the framed mesh.

I don't think I mentioned in my first post about my test drive, but I did also drive an S with PDK because it had PASM. My observation was the same as yours. The suspension just firms up a bit and you can feel the irregularities in the road more. Wish I could have tried in some real twisties. Only had some curvey roads to try it.

Do you have the Sport Chrono? The PDK equipped car also had Sport Chrono. I just couldn't tell just what it was doing because of the PDK. That's why the salesman said he'd give me a call if they got a manual with SC in so I could try it out. It sounds like it SHOULD improve handling because of the dynamic transmission mounts that you get with SC. With PDK, I just couldn't get a feel for the car - what change was due to SC and what was due to the changed transmission mapping.
As that sense of individual shocks damping occurred I thought of the Dynamic Mounts, but even without having a way to compare, it didn't feel like the engine/trans was shifting or creating a hysteresis (inertial) effect.

The hill hold works unobtrusively, and even if one has the skills to properly feather a clutch to get going forward uphill, I figure it'll help the clutch last longer by not having to do that much at all.

For the first time I noticed the PDLS* swiveling business on a twisty rural road: it's pretty nifty.

I'm getting used to the e brake, but I still mix up pushing and pulling turning it off and on. Just as I'm writing this, I realize what the problem is: the thing is operated by hand but its actions are the opposite of the classic hand brake.

*Keep in mind if ordering this car that the S (maybe the base, too) comes with HIDs as standard, but not the Dynamic (PDLS) system. It's an option.

According to the configurator, Sport Chrono in either manual or PDK equipped cars includes the stop watch (no big interest in that for me), Sport Plus (even sharper throttle response) thumbs up, Dynamic Transmission Mounts thumbs up - the main reasons I'm interested in SC.

You're right about the HID's. According to the configurator, they're only standard on the S and PDLS is an option. As far as I'm concerned, with a car like the Boxster, you can't have too much light on the road at night.

Yes, I found the e brake hard to get used to. Can it be operated without the ignition on?
The wheel well edges have a double fold; 90ยบ, then 90 again. That along with loose fitting liners make for a great place for crud to get stuck. Corrosion treatments are not invincible.
Each rear fender liner has a gap near the top, like a slot, that exposes the tail sheet metal; another place for stuff to go splattering in. Probably can be hosed out, but why have it in the first place?
Have mentioned it before, but the S's silver/gray tach looks as if it's being hit by oblique light all the time, making it less readable. Does anybody really need this to remind them they're in an S? Come to think of it, this would work if the markings were black instead of white.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2012 07:01AM by Laz. (view changes)
I agree about the silver/gray tach. It would look fine if all three gauges were that colour as before. I'm guessing the main reason is the TFT screen of the right instrument, which likely needs to have a black background. They should make it an option, so you could have the tach in black.

The parking brake is a bit of a pain then. Sometimes, I like to roll the car back a bit in the garage for one reason or another. Means I'd need the key in order to do it.
am I missing something?
Steve (Morro Bay) - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 12:20:44 am
Laz -- I've been behind on my board watching, but shouldn't you have uploaded about 1000 pictures by now?

Congrats on the car!
Four more frames of Ektachrome to go. *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 6:41:53 am
Re: Whell, you've got four wheels.
Laz - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 10:57:11 am
Yeah, that'd be like the black and white newspaper ad for chairs, all identical, but with the color labeled under each one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2012 11:07AM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login