Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
987 tire removal tool
Steve (Morro Bay) - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 12:16:59 pm
While I'm having a great time getting to know my new cayman, I ran into something kinda odd. It seems that the 987s (or at least my 2007 car) didn't come with a very substantial set of tools for roadside work. I have a wheel lock socket, a compressor (nice), some tire sealant, and some little tools to remove the headlights, but that's about it. What I was hoping to find was possibly a lug-nut wrench, but more importantly, that little wheel holder that you screw into one of the lug-nut seats in order to make wheel removal easier. Am I right that the car simply didn't ship from the factory with those things? The previous owner was the original -- a very nice guy who gave me just about every possible artifact of the car's history. I doubt he would have missed this, and imagine that it just wasn't part of the car to begin with. Is that right?

gratuitous pictures: last picture just before leaving Morro Bay
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

my car collection: coworkers are having a field day with my decision to keep both. (paint looks faded here, just a bad photo)
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]
Re: 987 tire removal tool
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 12:59:47 pm
Steve (Berlin & LA)
While I'm having a great time getting to know my new cayman, I ran into something kinda odd. It seems that the 987s (or at least my 2007 car) didn't come with a very substantial set of tools for roadside work. I have a wheel lock socket, a compressor (nice), some tire sealant, and some little tools to remove the headlights, but that's about it. What I was hoping to find was possibly a lug-nut wrench, but more importantly, that little wheel holder that you screw into one of the lug-nut seats in order to make wheel removal easier. Am I right that the car simply didn't ship from the factory with those things? The previous owner was the original -- a very nice guy who gave me just about every possible artifact of the car's history. I doubt he would have missed this, and imagine that it just wasn't part of the car to begin with. Is that right?

You're right Steve. What you see is what you get. Porsche figures the can-a-goop and compressor is all you'll need. You don't have a spare that you can replace a flat with, so need for any tire wrenches.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
It must cost all of 75 cents, and it's quite handy. The wrench isn't such a loss since anyone with tools would have a substitute, but the peg is unique.
just order an addl one or two there only...
Burg Boxster - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 7:40:08 pm
$9 each at suncoast :

[www.suncoastparts.com]

Or if you're really cheap, just use the one from your other Porsche eye rolling smiley
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
118 ft/pounds. Anything look different?
Bobtesa - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 5:50:12 pm
Do you have any idea why the torque for the lugs has increased so much? Does anything look different? The lugs themselves? Do you have spacers? Not an engineer, I wonder what would require more pressure for the wheels.

1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
Earlier this year ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 10:17:09 pm
... Porsche revised their recommended lug bolt torque from 96 to 110 (IIRC) ft lbs.
There must have been several cases of wheels loosening.
At the track I would tighten mine to 100 ft lb and after a couple of sessions I would recheck and they had lost some torque (maybe 5 ft lbs).
Not surprised that they're now recommending 118 for 20" wheels.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Can't be
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 7:46:15 pm
The torque is based on the diameter and materials involved and that is the same for both size wheels. Are you sure it's listed differently?
I would believe 118 Nm though smiling smiley *NM*
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 3 July, 2012, at 7:47:43 pm
At the price I don't think they're forged, but maybe the wheels are less susceptible to deformation than before, and also can take more road abuse. Don't know much about metallurgy, but could case hardening have something to do with it?

Also, the manual states the bolts are not to be greased.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2012 10:12PM by Laz. (view changes)
Porsche's new torque recommendations ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 4 July, 2012, at 10:27:00 pm
.... may be for the new back-anodized lug bolts.
I'm checking on it because it's not very clear.
Happy Boxsteing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Can't go wrong with Pedro on the case!
Laz - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 4:08:02 pm
I ordered a Red Clip to see if it'll work with the 981.

Who cares about the red clip. How did the
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 4:34:53 pm
orange hat work with the 981?
Re: Can't go wrong with Pedro on the case!
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 4:39:03 pm
You know Pedro sells an ORANGE clip to go along with his ORANGE cap and ORANGE fuel bib. You gotta be coordinated cool smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Re: 987 tire removal tool
TimD - Thursday, 5 July, 2012, at 5:54:59 pm
I have a 2012 Cayman with 18" wheels and my owners manual states that the torque setting is118 ft lbs. The manual states that this is for all wheels.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login