Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2013 Boxster S - stopped by my local dealer
Bob D - Friday, 6 July, 2012, at 10:38:53 am
to test drive a Volvo for my Daughter and there was a 2013 red Boxster S on the lot. The car is absolutely beautiful. I parked my 2008 red Cayman S next to it and it appeared that the new guards red Boxster was a shade darker than mine. My Daughter picks up her 2012 BMW 328i this morning. Also a beautiful car. Bob.
Re: 2013 Boxster S - stopped by my local dealer
Roger987 - Friday, 6 July, 2012, at 10:49:54 am
Bob, I'll be interested in your review of the new 328, especially the electric steering.

The E90 has been highly regarded. I'm hoping the new 3 series is a worthy successor.
Re: 2013 Boxster S - stopped by my local dealer - Roger,
Bob D - Friday, 6 July, 2012, at 11:05:51 am
I test drove the BMW 328 i and the car drives and handles great - not a Porsche, but unless your on the track it has the power and handling you need. The finish and engineering is outstanding. My Daughter previously had a 2008 BMW 335xi. The steering on the 328 is not as tight as the 335, but not loose either. We were going to buy another 335, but all you need now with the new engine is the 328 - for us anyway. Bob.
Thanks Bob
Roger987 - Friday, 6 July, 2012, at 12:12:59 pm
That's good news on the handling and fit and finish. Did you notice it's larger interior dimensions?

I've read that the 328's engine - a 4 cylinder turbo - is strong. The only negatives mentioned are it's not quite as smooth nor as aurally pleasing.

I'll be particularly interested in the Touring when it arrives next year.
Re: Thanks Bob
db997S - Friday, 6 July, 2012, at 12:34:04 pm
I've read some pretty negative things about the new 3's steering. Critics seem to like the Boxster's steering, even over that of the 911, but all seem pretty much in agreement when it comes to the cons of the 3s electronic steering.
3 series steering
Roger987 - Friday, 6 July, 2012, at 1:12:47 pm
I've read the same thing - that's why I was/am particularly interested in Bob's impressions. The reviews in auto mags don't always mirror my own experience 100%.

Even with its reportedly less than stellar steering, it's apparently still top of the pack.

[www.caranddriver.com]
The engine is very smooth and
Bob D - Friday, 6 July, 2012, at 2:54:22 pm
responsive - plenty of power. You would never know it has 4 cylinders. The interior is very well laid out, plenty of room (more than my Daughters 2008 335). Very impressed. Bob
Re: Thanks Bob
MikenOH - Friday, 6 July, 2012, at 1:14:29 pm
Roger987
That's good news on the handling and fit and finish. Did you notice it's larger interior dimensions?

I've read that the 328's engine - a 4 cylinder turbo - is strong. The only negatives mentioned are it's not quite as smooth nor as aurally pleasing.

I'll be particularly interested in the Touring when it arrives next year.

As smooth as the 3.0L motor is in the 328i, I think I'd appreciate that extra 60 ft lbs of torque the turbo 4 puts out. I know when I've got 4 passengers in the car and the A/Con , I have to buzz the motor to get it to go. The added mileage is another +.
Frissen - Tuesday, 10 July, 2012, at 1:33:24 am
we had the 981 presentation a couple of weeks ago here in Houston and test drove it this past Saturday... some thoughts...

hella fast, no longing for a turbo Boxster anymore, S is more than plenty fast...

handling is perfect, too perfect for its own good, you don't know if you are driving a car or a video game :/

PDK is crap, get manual...

fit and finish, superb!

jumped back into 986 and it feels old sad smiley good news is a new S is around $80k so I'm not getting one for sure, 986 feels plenty good smiling smiley

$80k???!!! what the hell happened to the bargain Porsche?
I saw a few in Atlanta over the 4th...
dghii - Tuesday, 10 July, 2012, at 10:31:43 am
Beautiful cars. Much more so in person than in the pictures. I can't wait for the cars to be 10 years old so I can afford one!

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
I priced a new "S" online, equipped the way I'd want it (but not crazy) and it was $85k. Add 15% sales tax and it's a shade under $100k. Add PSE and I've passed the century mark.

Great car, but how much would it improve my overall driving experience from my loaded 987? (which fits me like a glove).

Even if it improved the experience by 20%, that would represent about a $5k (not a $75k) bump on the current value of my 987. Yes, of course, the 2013 is 8 years newer, which by that fact alone makes it a more 'valuable' car. But in terms of the ownership/driving experience - both are very good looking, two-seat, two trunk Porsches with 6 cylinder normally aspirated, mid-mounted, boxer engines, brilliant handling and braking, equipped with very similar driving technology - PCM, PASM, PSM etc. Overall, the incremental change is modest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2012 12:19PM by Roger987. (view changes)
But you're not taking into account the ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 11 July, 2012, at 10:11:11 am
... new car smell which is worth at least $50K winking smiley
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
If that's the case...
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Wednesday, 11 July, 2012, at 11:56:55 am
...then those $3 "New car smell"-flavored air fresheners I spotted at AutoZone the other day might be a really, really good investment!
Hypoy gear oil scent would be a be a big seller. *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 11 July, 2012, at 2:33:50 pm
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
silverbox03 - Tuesday, 10 July, 2012, at 11:31:45 am
Reduced road feel in the steering seems to be a trend for many modern cars. Our daily drivers have been Hondas for almost 30 years. The Accord of the 1990's had the best steering of anything in its class at the time. But with every new generation, that has deteriorated.
I am going to a '981' intro tomorrow evening and I'm hoping to get some "wheel time". One of the qualities of Boxsters and 911's that were most endearing to me has always been the communicative steering. That extra kick-back from imperfections in the roadway was more involving and just a pure joy.
I want to believe that the new car can give up some of that and still be a hoot to drive. So I will wait for that first drive before I condemn Porsche's chosen path.
I haven't driven the new BMW '3'. I did drive the new '5' and it was awful. I remember BMW's having a rather crappy feel "on center"--a trait of even the sportiest BMW's--but good feel on turn-in kinda made up for it. Four BMW's preceded my first Porsche 14 years ago. Except for the 'M' cars, BMW's are not nearly as much fun to drive as they used to be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login