Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Strange side marker behavior after installing LED light
Cris - Sunday, 8 July, 2012, at 10:13:56 am
So, I tried (keyword) replacing the front side signals (blinkers) with canbus LED bulbs (built-in load resistors).
After I put the LED bulbs in and I turn the lights on (parking or headlights), the side lights no longer light up. The tail lights will come on, the city lights come on, but nothing from the side markers (the orange light housing that most everyone do as their 1st mod). Anyways, the lights will blink fine (I had it re-programmed @ BRBS to blink as indicators - thanks Mark from SC) when I put on the turn signal, hazards or arm/disarm alarm. But the lights won't come on now. Even more strange, when I put the incandescent bulbs back in, the incandescent bulbs also do not come on (again, they blink just fine with turn signal/haz, etc.).

I just quickly tried with a (low end) volt meter to the bulb socket and it seems I get a steady 10v when I turn the lights on, but and nothing changes when I turn the lights off and on again. What should I be looking for? It is as if there isn't sufficient current/power going to the LED or incandescent bulb to power it. I have since put the incandescent bulbs back in, disconnect the battery for about 15 sec, try again... but still nothing changed. Any idea/suggestion? Thanks!
LED bulbs...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 8 July, 2012, at 2:56:29 pm
... in contrast to incandescent, are polarity-dependent.
If they are not lighting, try flipping them.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
thanks Pedro... though the incandescent doesn't work.
Cris - Sunday, 8 July, 2012, at 3:05:58 pm
I thought it was polarity, but the LED does blink and the incandescent no longer works. Someone suggested the front control module may think there is a problem and no longer grounding the path for the steady on. I'll need to find a durametric pro to check it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login