Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
'09S HPFP Recall
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Monday, 9 July, 2012, at 8:50:33 pm
I took my '09S in for an oil change the other day and found out about the high-pressure fuel pump recall. I searched the board and found a mention of it "in passing" about ten months back, but thought I'd just put the info out again because it may save folks a trip to the dealer...

Apparently this recall pops up when you bring in the car, but they don't notify you otherwise. Plus, for whatever reason, Porsche doesn't supply the pumps unless a car comes in that needs one, so the dealers don't have them on-hand and they have to be special ordered. Thus an extra trip is involved unless you have them pre-order the pump before you schedule the visit.

In the earlier thread, I read that one of the symptoms of HPFP trouble is the engine doesn't start right away--this is a symptom I had been having. In fact, I mentioned it to my service manager a while back but apparently he didn't connect it to the HPFP at the time. I haven't seen the issue since getting the HPFP replaced.

However, another manifestation of the problem according to the service manager is that the fuel pump can quit while in action. So that might be a good reason to get the replacement, for anyone who hasn't yet.
A lot of cars had their HPFP's replaced, some of them multiple times. It became a big enough issue that BMW extended the warranty on the part to 8 years or 100K miles, IIRC.
Thanks... one of those threads mentions the "Emergency Transmission Run" error message as also relating to the HPFP problem, something I did not realize was the case. I used to get those quite often, esp. when the car was newer. Had to shut off the ignition and turn it back on to clear it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login