Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
clunky squeaky suspension sound
boxsterd - Wednesday, 11 July, 2012, at 12:24:03 am
The faint rear suspension clunky sound is back when I go over rough roads. Last time, only 45k miles ago, I had to have both rear trailing arms replaced at a cost of $800. Also this time I've noticed after driving if I put my weight on the top of the rear driver's side fender I can hear squeaking. Not sure what that's about. My question, do I need to get this looked at and fixed ASAP or it will get worse (read: more expensive to fix) or can I wait 6 months? TIA.
Re: clunky squeaky suspension sound
Ponyrider - Wednesday, 11 July, 2012, at 12:59:01 am
My 2001S was making the same squeaky sound. Needed rear shocks. And with only 118k miles! No complaints here!
Re: clunky squeaky suspension sound
boxsterd - Wednesday, 11 July, 2012, at 1:01:21 pm
How much were the rear shocks to replace?
You can wait
Boxsterra - Thursday, 12 July, 2012, at 8:29:18 am
The problem is likely the lower control arm inner bushing. You can verify that by spraying lubricant on it. If the sound stops then that is it. (The sound will come back so this is not a permanent fix)

Replacing the part will require a subsequent alignment. Vertex sells relatively inexpensive ones that have the added advantage of having separately-replaceable ball joints.

It's also possible but less likely that it is the sway bar bushing. The bolts on those have been known to come loose.

The primary symptom of both is just an annoying sound.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login