Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I got my first look today
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 12 July, 2012, at 4:26:22 pm
Delivered my grand-daughter after a week of swimming lessons and decided to go find the Porsche dealer who was just across the street. As I was exiting my wife's car, a couple somewhat younger than I but still a bit grey came by accompanied by a small boy. He was talking with animation about the various P-car models he was seeing and even had the pronunciations just right. Reminded me of the aspirational commercials of maybe 4 years ago with the kid telling the salesguy he'll be back in 15 years and buying. Commented to the salesguy on the knowledgeable little guy and he said he had just sold a 911 Monday to a guy who had been lusting 30 years.

He said his allocation of S models was sold out through September but the one on the floor was a order that had fallen through. 6-speed. Cary, NC. Had just gotten back from sales training...poor guy had to drive these things for several hours on the road and then the track.

My impressions of the silver 981S in the showroom were: brilliant, much more beautiful in person than the pictures I'd seen, large, huge wheels (20') and only seemingly 1" of tire rubber, and tiny trunks. No way my cart bag is fitting anywhere. I had no problem with the lack of clamshell (black top against silver). I liked the rear tail-lights lots more than I thought I would though that may just have been because the spoiler was up.
Goes For ANY Porsche....

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
we drove it for a couple of hours...
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 08:55AM by Laz. (view changes)
Nice report Frissen. Thanks. *NM*
Clam - Thursday, 12 July, 2012, at 5:51:40 pm
Very professionally done, Frissen. *NM*
Laz - Thursday, 12 July, 2012, at 6:19:06 pm
Great report! *NM*
Boxsterra - Thursday, 12 July, 2012, at 7:25:41 pm
Terrific report and pictures. *NM*
MikenOH - Thursday, 12 July, 2012, at 8:44:14 pm
Thanks Frissen. Great photos, as always
Roger987 - Thursday, 12 July, 2012, at 9:55:59 pm
And now, the bar's rasied even higher for Laz's photos. smiling smiley
Re: Thanks Frissen. Great photos, as always
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 13 July, 2012, at 7:55:59 am
Roger987
And now, the bar's rasied even higher for Laz's photos. smiling smiley

By the time he posts them, the 982 will probably be on the road eye rolling smiley

Regarding your signature
Laz - Monday, 16 July, 2012, at 8:57:14 am
"Good girls go to heaven. Bad girls go everywhere."

Re: Regarding your signature
Gary in SoFL - Monday, 16 July, 2012, at 11:23:56 am
Be careful, or some anonymous puritan will delete your provocative post. winking smiley

Waiting, somewhat patiently, for your photo album. confused smiley

Love the agate grey with pebble grey interior
Roger987 - Thursday, 12 July, 2012, at 10:00:13 pm
And finally, Posche is doing a black dash and steering wheel with a light grey interior. Maybe it's the two-tone package option. In any event, I agree, it looks terrific.

The dealer should probably go with Porsche, rather than Audi, mat protectors, though. winking smiley
Re: Love the agate grey with pebble grey interior
Gary in SoFL - Friday, 13 July, 2012, at 7:51:27 am
Between the all leather charge and a second upcharge for that two tone gray/black, it's all in cost is about $5,000 US.

Just a drop in the bucket for the G-man winking smiley

Great shots Frissen thanks! *NM*
DougW - Thursday, 12 July, 2012, at 11:16:44 pm
I am glad many of you enjoy my report the whole point of making them smiling smiley

Pics were taken with a meager and outdated point&shoot but we got to the point, if Porsche de Mexico lends me a 981 down here in Mexico I guess can capture it a little better.

I leave link to all my past reports [porschepuebla.homestead.com]

and our youtube channel [www.youtube.com]

I hope you like the stuff we have made over the years smiling smiley
But, as Frissen pointed out, at $80k +, the 981 will be competing with relatively fresh 997S's...

White wheels aren't my thing, but a clean car, relatively low mileage:

[www.prestigebmw.com]

Guenter, don't look ! It's a low mileage 911S Cab in ARCTIC SILVER, with a 6 speed and sports steering wheel.

Don't look!

[www.cars.com]

( Couldn't help yourself, could you.) grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 12:05PM by Roger987. (view changes)
Roger987
But, as Frissen pointed out, at $80k +, the 981 will be competing with relatively fresh 997S's...

Guenter, don't look ! It's a low mileage 911S Cab in ARCTIC SILVER, with a 6 speed and sports steering wheel.

Don't look!

It would just interfere with G-mans 981 order, Roger smiling smiley

Seems like you're looking. If so I'd advise a 997.2, from 2009-2012, for obvious reasons.

As the local dealer told me when I was getting my 981 rides, a fully optioned 981S is getting very close to a the selling price
of a 991 coupe with some options. I can only imagine what the new Cayman will do to the pricing matrix.

Some puritan has removed my latest pretty girl pic sad smiley

Not really looking. More a case of trying to convince myself there's no need getting too hot and bothered about the 981. smiling smiley

Especially not when my full-time ride is now 12 years old, and may one day have to be replaced with a car that, even used, will make a sizable dent in the account.

For the 997.2, did they do away with the IMS?

Let's hope the pretty pic disappeared as a result of some sort of solar flare, and not an intentional act...
Gary in SoFL
Roger987

Don't look!

It would just interfere with G-mans 981 order, Roger smiling smiley

Seems like you're looking. If so I'd advise a 997.2, from 2009-2012, for obvious reasons.

As the local dealer told me when I was getting my 981 rides, a fully optioned 981S is getting very close to a the selling price
of a 991 coupe with some options. I can only imagine what the new Cayman will do to the pricing matrix.

I think to say a "fully Optioned" 981 is close to the price of base 991 with no options is not a fair assessment. The 991 with the same options as the 981 is going to cost way more.
Jim 'n' SC
Gary in SoFL

I think to say a "fully Optioned" 981 is close to the price of base 991 with no options is not a fair assessment. The 991 with the same options as the 981 is going to cost way more.

Maybe not fair for you, Jim, but both fair and reasonable for me. drinking smiley Note I said some options on the 991, not no options.

The initial bunch of 981's are in the mid $80K MSRP range. A 991 coupe (if one isn't dying for a drop top) with a fair number of options, about the same configuration otherwise, and the same engine, is no more than $91K MSRP, and as lawdevil pointed out, can be had with a larger discount. For fave grand more, I think I'd go with the 991 coupe, but that's just me.

If you want to compare a loaded 981S to a loaded 3.8L 991S cab, the difference could be 24 or 30 grand, but that wouldn't be fair....for me. winking smiley

I'm not sure if the price is going to make that much of a difference in choosing between the 991 and 981. If you really want a true roadster. There's really only one choice (Even Z4 owners admit to that.)

One of the first 981 to disappear from the Toronto dealer's inventory was the loaded up 981 which listed at $99,7XX CDN. US price would likely have been in the high $80 range.

I think the high 981 prices we're seeing is because the dealers have ordered their first batch of cars with lots of options (read extra profit).
The high prices on 981s is due to very loaded cars being ordered by dealers for launch. From my days years ago in the car business, this was normal - even for VW bugs. Dealers want to maximize profit while the excitement over the new model is high. Also, these cars look better in the showroom. I suspect that by the end of the year you will see a lot of 981s on dealer lots with prices in the high 50s and to the mid 60s. I just glanced at a local dealer's inventory (which appears to list a lot of cars which have not arrived yet) and saw many Boxsters with prices from around $53,000 to the mid 60s. If you don't get the all leather, Nav, PDK and the electronic performance goodies (sport chrono, torque vectoring, PASM), you can keep the price down to a somewhat reasonable level. My 2008 did not have any of these things and it was a wonderful car!

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2012 03:22PM by Lawdevil. (view changes)
Roger987

White wheels aren't my thing, but a clean car, relatively low mileage:

[www.prestigebmw.com]

Don't look!

[www.cars.com]

hehehehehe... there is a plethora of 997 cabs well under the 981 price point... even a 996TT sounds terrific if you as me, specially when you live 2500 meters above sea level smiling smiley
Frissen--A question the on GR cars
MikenOH - Sunday, 15 July, 2012, at 9:23:37 pm
The GR car in your pictures looked terrific--very close to the quality of the color on our 06.
[s692.photobucket.com]

Looking at the a local 981 in the same color, however, it looked a bit washed out:

[s692.photobucket.com]

I thought it could be the wheels since they were a satin finish, until I saw another website with a shade that looked very close to the one at my dealer rather than the Houston show:

[www.flickr.com]

It this an ambient lighting issue or something else?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2012 09:24PM by MikenOH. (view changes)
Re: Frissen--A question the on GR cars
Frissen - Monday, 16 July, 2012, at 12:49:58 am
MikenOH
The GR car in your pictures looked terrific--very close to the quality of the color on our 06.
[s692.photobucket.com]

Looking at the a local 981 in the same color, however, it looked a bit washed out:

[s692.photobucket.com]

I thought it could be the wheels since they were a satin finish, until I saw another website with a shade that looked very close to the one at my dealer rather than the Houston show:

[www.flickr.com]

I think is lighting, camera and post editing of the pic.

My pic is taken without direct sunlight wich in this case makes a lot of difference, despite the meager point&shoot camera I had, the camera was on a somewhat "manual" mode and I was able to play with ISO and aperture, I did my post editing with Canon and Adobe. I was working wonders with that outdated point&shoot...
Re: Frissen--A question the on GR cars
Frissen - Monday, 16 July, 2012, at 12:59:35 am
MikenOH
[s692.photobucket.com]

[s692.photobucket.com]

[www.flickr.com]

Still the new paints bring an speciall depth, shine and finish and is more noticeable in Guards Red in my opinion...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 01:08AM by Frissen. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login