Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
2000S, 194K miles on chassis, 144K on engine.

I have seen my engine temps rise for the 1st time in 12 years of ownership. The temp gauge is usually solid as a rock on the "0" of 180 and virtually never wavered regardless of ambient temperatures or how I was driving. But over the last few weeks in the hot temps (but not abnormal) of the North East, my engine temps are rising. Even when ambient temps are just 82 or 83 degrees, I am getting temps just above the next hash mark. Turning the AC off improves the temps.... high speed driving lowers the temps ... stop and go cause the temps to rise. Coolant is fine.

Issue? Could I just need a new thermostat? Difficult? How do I cure adult acne?
Most likely you have an issue with...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 13 July, 2012, at 7:40:04 pm
... one or both of your radiator fans.
While idling, turn the A/C on. Both fans should run at high speed.
If not, you may have bad resistor(s).
We even saw a bad ignition switch cause radiator fans to stop working.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
See here
Boxsterra - Saturday, 14 July, 2012, at 8:32:18 am
For the past year or so.... very randomly I think....... I would hear a fan spinning down when I shut my car off in my garage. Kind of a VVVvvvvv sound. Could this be related? Issue? How do I lower my bad cholesterol?
The link I gave
Boxsterra - Saturday, 14 July, 2012, at 5:19:30 pm
explains how to trivially check to see if the fans are functioning properly.
The radiators may be dirty but he c,aims hat temps go down with speed, so that means that they're not getting air at low speed, hence the fan(s).
Nevertheless, it's always good to periodically clean out the radiators.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Thanx for you help. The driver's side fan is dead. The other works and runs at two speeds.

I never cleaned the radiators and I have 194K miles on the car...... I guess I should eh? Best links for DIY? I found Skyler's stuff....... and about how long does it take an amateur to do this?

Thanx
Bruce
In that case there's a very good chance that you need to replace the ballast resistor.
It's not terribly difficult, just uncomfortable if you don't have a lift because it's done from underneath.
You'll have to cut and solder three wires. Make sure you protect the repair with shrink tubing.

For the radiator cleaning, Skyler's instructions are excellent.
Removing the bumper skin should take about 30 minutes, then cleaning each side another 30-45 mins.
Happy Boxstring
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

In the meantime
Boxsterra - Sunday, 15 July, 2012, at 12:12:22 pm
you can do the 5 minute hack I linked to above, which will cause both your fans to work and keep the car cool.
Bumper cover
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Sunday, 15 July, 2012, at 10:58:43 am
removal is easy if you have two sets of hands and have prepared a soft place to lay down the bumper. Good chance to relocate the hood emergency pull while you are there.
Just talked to a friend, he is bringing up some jack stands..... I am going to replace the resistor and clean the radiators. I have three local dealers and hope at least one will have the part.

So, to use the "logic" of my wife, if I screw it up, it is your fault !!!! All of you!

Anything else I should do when I am in there? Move the cable to the tow hole? Search for contraband?
I'd like to see
Boxsterra - Sunday, 15 July, 2012, at 2:07:39 pm
a picture of the pile of debris that comes out of a 200k car's radiator. I first did mine at 80k and the pile was quite substantial.

Check your horns to make sure they both operate. They are easiest to replace when the bumper is off (yes it's possible with the bumper on but difficult.

You also might want to take out the grills and paint them. Mine had grayed and were looking pretty bad. I used black spray plastic paint and they look 10x better than before. That's another job that is technically possible with the bumper on but much easier with it off.
Excellent ideas
Bruce In Philly (2000 S Boxster, now '09 C2S) - Sunday, 15 July, 2012, at 4:43:23 pm
Yes, I will take some photos..... I do have a horn that craps out intermittently..... and I can paint those things no big deal.... Great ideas.. thanx.

Flat black?
I think I did gloss black
Boxsterra - Monday, 16 July, 2012, at 4:20:34 am
Either way, it is a big improvement.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login