Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Laz--a few more 981 questions
MikenOH - Sunday, 15 July, 2012, at 12:29:23 pm
Questions on data that should be in the owners manual:

-Break in period in miles? (you probably have this memorized)
-Recommended oil and drain period?
-Oil capacity?
-Any significant changes in engine access compared with the 986/987 models?
-Quality of seat leather? I didn't spend a lot of time in the stock sport seat, but there seems to be a lot more openings for ventilation and the leather has a bit of a "different' feel. Some posters on other boards refer to it as "plether" like.

Other questions :
--Air ducting around the rear brakes? I've heard there is.
--Estimated delivery time to the US POE after being built
--Quality of seat leather? I didn't spend a lot of time in the stock sport seat, but there seems to be a lot more openings for ventilation, while the leather has a bit of a "different' feel from our 987 seats. Some posters on other boards refer to it as "plether" like sad smiley.
--Current approved oil list (if different from what Pedro has posted)

thanks for any help.
I haven't been able to figure it out and the dealer also said they don't know (!)
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
The top doesn't seem to have a service position and it is locked up pretty tight. Rumor has it that you have to use a PIWIS to get it into service position but that seems improbable to me.
Now, that would PIWIS me off!

Laz--many thanks.

Interesting stuff--glass mat battery; I wondered when new technology like this would finally make it into a OE role. I'd guess it's a lot lighter than the typical lead acid.

Redline at 7600--I'll have to look for the plots of the HP/TQ curve. Oil capacity is the same as the 987.

Heat exchanger for the tranny--it gets the fluid warmed faster in the winter but not sure about how much cooling is accomplished vs. a traditional oil cooler.

I don't suppose there is a PDF of the owners manual anywhere on line..
Curves accessible at the official Porsche site.
Laz - Monday, 16 July, 2012, at 8:40:32 am
For both models, either by clicking on the "i" icon next to the hp figure on the Technical Specification page, or Features/Drive.
The car uses a lot of "Thermal Management."

Re: Laz--a few more 981 questions
Laz - Sunday, 15 July, 2012, at 3:24:43 pm
2000 miles/3000 kms, 4200 rpm max
Mobil 0-40. The dealer gave me a quart of it labeled, "European Formula." 10k changes. But I'm having mine dumped at 2k. (Now at a few ticks below 1400.)
1.98 gallons with filter change. No differentiation between engines, and less than the M96 engines.
I don't know what the engine access is now that the clamshell is gone, but there's an engine lid fastened with Torx.
I don't know if the non-ventilated seats are heavily perforated, but it does take away from a natural leather perception.
The top sides of the inside door grips are leather... I think. Not as distinctive as the 986's. I always appreciated the stitching on those being on top: ergonomically superior because you're not grabbing the seam.
I've seen a graphic for brake cooling, but it only shows the front. I think of read elsewhere, too, that the rears have some sort of directed air flow.
My delivery was a "special case" in that I had to wait for the model release. Car build was about 5/7 and the car got to the dealer the Monday before the Thursday 6/28 release date.
Near as I know, Porsche's A40 oil list applies.

A few more items:
The manual transmission has an oil pump, and also has a heat exchanger that I think uses the engine coolant supply.
The rev limiter is set for 7800, but the tach's red line is 7600.
The rear mesh frame's attaching mechanisms are a lot more sturdy and positive than the old one.
A further loss of visibility happens when sunlight hits the mesh obliquely.
I think a big factor with rearward visibility is caused, ironically, by the longer wheelbase/increased legroom/rollbars bein farther back relative to your head. Coming into a reverse road fork from the left can be an leap of faith.
There is one intake air cleaner per side now.
PTV adds 4.4 pounds to the car weight.
The headlights are alarmed.
The red clip doesn't work, but there is radar surveillance with the top up. I might try doctoring the clip, but don't want to stress the microswitch. Maybe Porsche will come out with a new one.
The top's insulation is Thinsulate.
PASM equipped cars' springs actually have a higher rate.
The battery is an Absorbant Glass Mat and there's a warning not to jump it with the negative terminal. There's a terminal at the wiper mechanism.

Re: Laz--a few more 981 questions
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 15 July, 2012, at 9:27:37 pm
Thanks for all the info, Laz.

What is meant by headlights are alarmed? Warning chime if left on? I don't think they'll stay on if the ignition is turned off.

I wonder if the transmission heat exchanger helps warm up the transmission oil faster, therby improving lubrication and less drag/friction during the warm up process.
The headlights are connected to the anti-theft system. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 16 July, 2012, at 8:42:33 am
The list of 5W-50 oils that are both A40 and easily available is very short, to say the least.
Lubro Moly has a 5W-40 full synthetic (rated A40) that I've been using for the past year, which tested very well in a sample that I sent to Blackstone which included 5 track days.
If we cut the deal on this car, I'll need to chat with their service dept on how they feel about using this oil.
Battery info at Wiki (edited for link)
Laz - Monday, 16 July, 2012, at 9:03:43 am
There's a warning about charging. Porsche says NOT to attach the donor battery's negative lead to the dead battery's negative terminal, but to a certain point on the windshield wiper mechanism. I think standard battery advice is not to attach the negative directly, but in reading the Wiki article, it seems more important with the AGM. Looks like they don't last as long... gotta find out what the nominal life is.
[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2012 09:05AM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login