Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Thanx all for you help with my 2000 S with 194K miles.

The bad: ..... replaced resistor and fan still does not work. Oh well...... I jumped the gun thinking it was the ballast resistor. I guess the fan is dead. The other fan works fine and runs at both speeds. Not sure if I will tackle that again..... maybe... dunno. Could it be something else?

The good: Cleaned the radiators.... yuck! After I vacuumed out the easy stuff, each radiator had about 2 inches by 6 inches of .... cemented crap. I guess the dirt just cemented itself or something. I chipped carefully at it and got most of it but I just gave up on some of it fearing damaging the pipes. I sprayed Simple Green in there and did some hosing and it did dissolve a bit of it, but not all. Overall, it will breath a heck of a lot easier now.

So, that is what 194,000 miles of never cleaned radiator looks like. Given what I had seen on the 'net, I didn't think it was that bad. Not good of course, but no disaster.

Only issues I faced were braking wheel liner pins. I snapped a bunch of them..... gonna order a bag this evening. That wheel liner was the biggest pain of the job. The bumper came off with ease.

Again, thanx all for your help and support.

Click here for the picture..... The pic is too large to load here.

Click here for the picture.
Re: the picture: ! *NM*
Laz - Tuesday, 17 July, 2012, at 8:44:10 pm
Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Thanx again:

1 - Wheel liner snaps/fasteners
2 - Drivers side brake scoop

The brake scoop is missing.... this is the insert that snaps into the wheel liner and is just in front of that rubber lip/flap in front of the tire. Why the heck it was missing is... well who the heck knows.

I checked a parts diagram catalog I have but it does not seem to have these things.
Not entirely sure which scoop
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 17 July, 2012, at 9:20:05 pm
Part #4 ("cover"):

[www.autoatlanta.com]

Part #2 ("expansion rivet"):

[www.autoatlanta.com]
Thanx.... I have the RoadAtlanta PDFs .... just missed the rivet. But the scoop I am missing is a snap in for the wheel liner..... it looks like it is not a separate part but sold with the whole liner. It goes in that triangle in front of the "rubber lip". Odd that it is even missing from my car. Thanx again.
Pretty nasty looking. I did mine about 3 years ago (at ~82K miles). It didn't look that bad.
That "cement" is sand/dirt that really hardened. What I found to be really bizarre, is that some of the leaves were quite whole (or large pieces). Now how did they get back in there? I thought that the debris was stuff that got through the A/C grill and therefore small particles. Hmmmm..... Anyway, all better now.
by the radiator fan.

That this trash collects between the A/C condenser and the radiator suggests to me there is a 'fail safe' setup. If something blocks air flow through the A/C condenser this can restrict air flow to the radiator behind it.

The fail safe in this case is in this scenario, to avoid a possible overheating condition, there's a gap on either side of the A/C condenser and radiator. This gap will let air flow -- at least when the radiator fan is on -- past/around the blocked condenser to/through the radiator. The radiator and condenser a almost sealed at their bottom and top edges and there is no path for air to be pulled around the radiator by the fan. All air that the fan moves must at least come through the radiator.

Even if the condenser is not blocked air does not want to flow through it that readily and over time -- you let these go a long long time too -- trash collects between the radiator and condenser from the fans running..

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login