Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Porsche Parade
Ed B - Wednesday, 18 July, 2012, at 9:00:25 am
Hi ALl,
We ate on our way back from the Parade in the GT3. Lots of Boxsters, Some new and some old and Pedro'S Board members. lots of chances to exersise the car. Western drivers are good, mostly , about keeping right. From eastern Iowa, not so good.
Watch out for drivers just west of Chicago. We were run off th road three times, one 20 wheel belly dump and two cars. I guess Speed Yellow isn't bright enough.
We are currently stranded in Sturgis, Michigan just off I80. lost a rear tire at about 75 mph. No spare. Waited about an hour for the flatbed in 101 degree temps. (It's a dry heat)
Tire Rack has no N2's and they are discontinued. Have to buy four N4's.
Someone from the towing company and I are taking the wheels to Tire Rack this morning for the new Michelins. Going to be an expensive vacation!
There was an interesting tech session on installing a 3.4 996 motor an early Boxster. Included a list of parts needed.

Ed B
Re: Porsche Parade
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Wednesday, 18 July, 2012, at 11:33:57 am

Tire Rack has no N2's and they are discontinued. Have to buy four N4's.

I had an N1 Michelin PS tire that developed a bulge recently and I replaced it. My tire dealer replaced it with an PS2, but I have been unable to find the N-rating. The number is readily apparent on the PS, but I can't find it on the newer tire. The difference in tread between the two tires is also apparently.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
short is while an indy tire store repaired the tire the tech told me the tire was probably shot. The hole was too close to the sidewall and the screw damaged the sidewall.

He was right. The tire went down again in just hours.

But the dealer had ordered a pair of new rear tires for me the day before.

The really good news is when I bought the tires the last time they came with some road hazard warranty.

The tech checked the tires tread depth and lo and behold they were at 3mm (after around 23K miles!). The lower limit is 2mm so the tire with the screw in it was replaced for free, including mounting and balancing!

However, the new rear tire I had to pay for, Bridgestone and I do not know the model/N number, cost nearly $500 out the door!

Oh, I carry a spare (second) scissors jack in the car and used both to raise both rear tires off the ground and used my sister's car to haul the rear wheels to the dealer for new tires.

Anyhow, drink plenty of water and stay out of the sun. Get back on the road ASAP!

Sincerely,

MarcW.
But its fixed. And a screw near the sidewall, even if it held air, should not be trusted say, on the track.

OTOH i'll plug (with a proper mushroom plug) a tire all day in the middle and take it out to the track.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
bgale (Montrose,CO) - Wednesday, 18 July, 2012, at 6:13:34 pm
It was good talking to you Ed. It was probably the blue tape that disguised the Speed Yellow smiling smiley

Yeah a dry heat in Michigan.
Ed B - Friday, 20 July, 2012, at 9:42:55 am
Made it back to NH on schedule yesterday. Wednesday was a very long day. Tire failure was due to lack of rubber on the cords. Right rear was down to the crds, too. Wouldn't have stared the trip if I knew they were that thin. I did check them. Couldn't have have been the "average speeds".

Ed
bgale (Montrose,CO) - Friday, 20 July, 2012, at 12:18:43 pm
Had the same type of problem going to Portland Parade. At the last minute had to drive the Passat rather than the Boxster. The Passat did need new tires but didn't have time to change. Had a blowout on the way and ended up spending a day in Portland during the Parade finding new tires. angry smiley
Ed B - Tuesday, 24 July, 2012, at 1:08:50 pm
Fortunately, we were only an hour from Tire Rack in South Bend. Could have been worse.
Chuck's Repair and Towing in Sturgis was great.

td
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login