Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Removing the rear bumper cover/facing
grant - Tuesday, 24 July, 2012, at 4:03:29 pm
Hi all,

I'm installing a Willwood System hidden receiver (aka tow hook mount) on my MY2004 986.

to tow my new tire trailer. Ok, its not new, its used. But its nice.

Any how-tos or instructions readily available for removing the rear bumper cover?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
I can say for the MY1998 986 it's relatively easy:
- Remove six to eight various philips or torx or hex screws around the lower lip of the bumper. The outer pair are tucked up just near the top/end of the bumper panel in the wheel well. You may have more or fewer screws, and of different types, depending on work done by other mechanics....
- Raise the spoiler. Open the trunk.
- Push the pin thru the center of the 3 plastic rivets on the leading edge of the spoiler. You'll have to retrieve them later so be careful when you do move the spoiler 'cause they're inside and can fall out and get lost.
- With the pins pushed thru, now pull the rivets out. You'll have to carefully pry around the edges with something thin.
- Gently but firmly pry around the painted spoiler top panel lip with your fingers to remove it. Try wiggling the leading edge up, then prying up around the trailing edge and corners. It's being held by little plastic protrusions built into the trailing edge lip.
- Using a strong arm on a screwdriver with a (6mm?) hex bit, reach into the hole at each end of the spoiler top and remove the two bolts that hold the spoiler to the up/down poles. Strong because there is loctite on these bolts!
- Now put the spoiler aside (recover those 3 rivet pins as they spill out).
- You can probably get away with just loosening one of the two spoiler bolts, and pivoting the spoiler around on it, resting it on the trunk weatherstripping.
- Remove the 3 philips head screws that are now reachable that hold the top of the bumper to the car.
- Remove the bumper. You'll probably have to unplug the license plate light wire if you want to put the bumper all the way down on the ground. You can pull more slack thru the grommet on the left if it helps. The connector is near the grommet, not near the license plate lights.

So: several screws around lower edge of bumper; remove spoiler (plastic rivets, painted cap, main bolts) to access three screws on top edge of bumper; license plate light wire.

For the Spec Boxster I would like to figure out a way to undo those three upper bumper screws without removing the spoiler. Perhaps drilling three access holes in the spoiler and taping over them.
many thanks!
grant - Tuesday, 24 July, 2012, at 7:27:15 pm
if anyone has any pics....

but this should do nicely.

Appreciate the quick reply.

Grant

Grant

Re: many thanks!
steve_wilwerding - Wednesday, 25 July, 2012, at 8:15:32 am
The best explanation with pics is in the Bentley manual.
i have it. Didnt plow through yet, since its often terse. *NM*
grant - Wednesday, 25 July, 2012, at 10:16:10 am
Grant

Does the spoiler really need to be removed?
grant - Saturday, 28 July, 2012, at 12:02:23 pm
On early 986s the spoiler was in a cutout int he bumper. So it must be removed. On later cars it is not, it is entirely in front of (toward front of car that is) the bumper facia.

So must it come off?

I can see it might be easier to remove the spoiler to gain access to the screws along the top center. If that's the goal, why remove the spiler from the mechanism - why not just take out the 4 allen bolts and remove the unit?

Any advice?

Grant

Grant

Grant, are you still referring to the early spoiler? Accessing the 3 top bumper screws requires getting the spoiler out of the way. If you mean the 4 bolts (2 per side) that look like they hold the lifter elevators to the car, they aren't enough. The whole thing is bound together on the inside (motor/cables/mounting/elevators). If you remove those 4 bolts you'll just have a wobbly spoiler, still connected to the elevators and motor.
Grant

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login