Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Rearward visibility
Laz - Thursday, 26 July, 2012, at 1:54:03 pm
Interestingly enough, having the top up doesn't affect rearward visibility much as it's more to do with the rollbars and maybe rear deck height. What seems to make a big improvement is having the mesh out. The fasteners are push buttons rather than levers, and are a big improvement. Overall, I've become quite comfortable with changing lanes, etc. Still cautious, but less anxious.
Reached 1700 miles; hit 6000 rpm. This thing moves. And its surefootedness amazes me. (PASM, PTV)
Re: Rearward visibility
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 26 July, 2012, at 3:01:32 pm
Laz
Interestingly enough, having the top up doesn't affect rearward visibility much as it's more to do with the rollbars and maybe rear deck height. What seems to make a big improvement is having the mesh out. The fasteners are push buttons rather than levers, and are a big improvement. Overall, I've become quite comfortable with changing lanes, etc. Still cautious, but less anxious.
Reached 1700 miles; hit 6000 rpm. This thing moves. And its surefootedness amazes me. (PASM, PTV)

I agree on the rear deck of the 981 being somewhat higher than the 987. I think it's the roof sticking up a little higher than on the 987 with the clamshell. As I had observed, I think the thick frame of the center mesh really cuts down on visibility. The center section of the 987 windstop is also a pushbutton release. I think the mounting system on the 981 is really well integrated and cleaner looking than on the 987.

I don't think rear visibilty should be much of a problem for lane change though if you have your side mirrors adjusted right. Mine are set out far enough that I can barely see the outer edge of the rear fender. Doing a regular 360 - mirrors, windshield and instruments goes a long way to knowing if it's safe to pull out at any given moment.

Sounds like you're not far off from bringing the whole orchestra to a full crescendo soon. hot smiley
How well did you adapt to using it? How well did it work? As I get older and less able to turn around, I find myself wondering if that isn't something I'd want even on a Boxster.
Can't recall if I had one on the old '03 (I definitely don't have one on the '09), but those little round convex blind spot mirrors that you stick on the top-right of your driver's side view mirror have worked very well for me. At one point I bought a bunch and put one on each of our cars. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "blind spot warning" or not (I suspect you're talking about something more technologically advanced), but I thought I'd just put out my positive experience with one low-tech solution.
Both my Boxsters had the special two part aspheric mirrors added by me that have a special view both to the back and side thus eliminating the blind spot. But what I was really asking about was one of the new fangled radar things that puts a light on in the mirror when it senses someone in your blind spot. Not sure either option is available for the 981.
its back up camera and warning system and didn't really feel comfortable relying upon it. Oh, I put about 1000 miles on her car too. (She's going to kill me when she finds this out...)

Anyhow, I guess I'm just an old rubber necker and like the head on a swivel technique.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I would think that those aspheric mirrors would be much better than the radar with warning lights and/or beeps. Radar just says that something is there. The mirrors would tell you what is there.

Also not sure if the radar warning goes off every time something is in your blind spot. That would be a real PITA that your mind would start blocking out with it constantly going off. On the other hand, if there's no warning until you do start to make a move, that could startle you. I'd want to know before signaling and moving, which brings us back to the mirrors.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/2012 04:31PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login