Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I was visiting the rennlist forums on the new 981 to get some info on whether anyone had come up with an aftermarket (track) pad for the car and was surprised to find this thread where those that had looked at the car at a West Coast dealer were surprised to see the end of the "open top" design that allows for quick pad changes.

thread:
[forums.rennlist.com]

In place of the "open top" is a semi-closed top that apparently will not allow the pads to be removed through the top of the caliper, required most likely the caliper to be removed from the hub to gain access to the pads. The reviewers were uniform in the disappointment in this design change since it does complicate things for those that change out pads for track events, especially for those that make the change out at the track.

I've done a search on the new brake caliper design and couldn't come up with any schematics or technical comments on how pad changes might work.
Laz--is any of this mentioned in the owners manual ?(I'm guessing not) Looking at the caliper, does the removal of the caliper from the hub to change pads look about right?
If the calipers are attached to the hubs by two bolts, perhaps it requires one being removed and the caliper being rotated away from the disc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 01:55AM by Laz. (view changes)
Laz
If the calipers are attached to the hubs by two bolts, perhaps it requires one being removed and the caliper being rotated away from the disc.

Glad to hear the rears are open--that helps.
I'll have to check with my tech and see if they've gotten the proper procedures yet to change out the pads. Since these are the rotors on the 991 Carrera I would think that's all been worked out at the shop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login