Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Porsches 2 Ohio After Action Report
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 29 July, 2012, at 9:59:40 am
Porsches to Ohio (P2O) is an annual, casual Porsche get-together that was first held in Oxford, Ohio in 2005, and now in Granville, which is a short drive east of Columbus and is easily accessible from I71, I70, and I77. The event is run by Mid-Ohio Region PCA (MORPCA) and is associated with the American Cancer Society after the death of one of its founders, Marylynn Roe. Entry is normally $37, but 150+ slots of premium parking named Marylynn's Row cost $135 each and are highly prized.

With a Porsche newly arrived in our garage, we were looking forward to our first P2O, and were hoping for good weather. When we left the house and NE Ohio at 6am, it was damp and gloomy, having rained throughout the night. After breakfast at a Bob Evans, and a momentary pause at a Starbucks in Ashland, we made the trip to central Ohio without incident, with the sky getting brighter and the temperature climbing as we traveled south. The temperature started at 68F but never got above 85F the entire day, with no rain being encountered at the event. Although humid in Granville, it was frequently cloudy, and with the steady breeze that blew thru the downtown, it was seldom unpleasant.

This was P2O's first trip to Granville as well as ours, and I think we were both pleasantly surprised at how nice the town was. Granville could best be described as being Mayberry in Ohio. Both the downtown and residential areas are populated with older, immaculately kept buildings and homes. I am guessing the town has restrictions and guidelines on how properties must be kept as everything was picturesque and pristine.

Check-in went smoothly as MORPCA had a small area setup just inside the east entrance. We were given our swag bag, Marylynn Row Placard, and t-shirts; then were efficiently directly by parking attendants to the appropriate spot. They also helped conserve space by assisting with the parking. Well done, MORPCA.

The downtown area where the event was held was perfect for P2O. The area was at least five lanes wide plus ample parking spots along the sides that allowed almost all 500-Porsches to cluster together in neat rows, with only a few needed parking spots on side streets. The Town Fathers closed off three blocks of the main streets plus almost all side streets. They also provided traffic control at the one intersection open to the event, which allowed quick egress.

The cars were immaculate and everyone was friendly. Over the next 5-hours we made several circuits of the area. We also met up with Mike and Katherine Marotta, who are fellow NORPCA members as well as BRBS attendees.

I only observed one bit of misconduct by an adult. The man, who must not have been a fine car owner, decided he wanted to put his hands on my car, and even leaned on our neighbor's car to look inside it. Apparently his parents never taught him to look but not touch.

Here is my Photobucket album with all the pics I took:
P2O Pictures

My car was parked on a corner of Marylynn's Row and got lots of attention from both photographers and the curious.

Bev and I sat nearby and watched a steady stream of people taking pictures of the Blue Box. We also watched people looking at the clear bra (only a handful of other cars had them) and commenting on the color (it was the only Aqua Blue Metallic there). One woman even oohed & ahhed at the built-in cup holders. Were the 2009s the first year to get them?

I took as many pictures of the cars as I could, especially the really interesting ones, like the CGT, tractor, and the first 968 I have ever seen.

On the way home the weather got darker, and I spotted a rain storm that cooperated by not moving towards us before we could get the top up. When we got to the I71 & I76 interchange, disaster almost struck. The interchange is in a dip and the rainstorm we were passing thru created a lot of standing water (>1-inch). I was only doing 70mph at the time but began hydroplaning. When Bev and I both felt the car swaying from side to side, I backed off to 58mph and went into the right lane. The hydroplaning continued and I let the car coast down farther until we were thru the area and traction returned. Two cars on the southbound side were not as lucky and collided. One ended up facing the wrong way but was able to get onto the berm. If I had been in my SUV, there would not have been a problem, so am guessing the wider tires (Michelin PS) and low vehicle weight combined to preventing us from cutting thru the water to the road surface. It was a lesson learned.

We both had a great time and certainly plan to attend next year.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2012 10:00AM by KevinR-MedinaOhio. (view changes)
Re: Porsches 2 Ohio After Action Report
MikenOH - Sunday, 29 July, 2012, at 10:21:51 am
Great report and pictures, Kevin-Sorry I missed it;it will be on the list for next year.

It poured off and on all day in Medina--of all places.

Regarding hydroplaning, yep, you'll get it even with good tires but a lot is dependent on what your tread depth is. PS2's that came with our car were great when new on a wet roads--not so much at half tread.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login