Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
This past Saturday, July 28, I had the privilege to participate in our local Porsche Club of American (PCA Potomac, Founder’s Region) driving event (Wounded Warrior Rally). It's called a Gimmick Rally. For those that don’t know what a rally is, it is essentially a scavenger hunt in a car. A team consists of a driver and a navigator. This year’s event had a twist--the navigator was a wounded solider from Walter Reed Military Hospital in Bethesda, MD. A total of 35 cars participated. I was teamed up with a woman who was injured pretty badly in a training exercise while in Afghanistan. We have done some simulations where I work, and my biggest risk is a paper cut.

The positive attitude and enthusiasm that these soldiers exhibit is simply amazing. You can see why the DC is indeed first in war and first in peace (and luckily, this year, first in the NL East—go Nats!).

We met up at Walter Reed at 9:00 in the morning to pick up our navigators and to drive to the Rally point/starting line for a photo op and driver instructions. Our event coordinators put together a fantastic 72-mile drive through some of the prettiest back roads Maryland has to offer. The idea was to count speed limit signs and add up their total MPH. Regular black and white signs were positive, and yellow with black signs (warnings to slow down) were negatives or subtracted from the total. In all, there were 153 signs to add and subtract. So, at the end, there was a heck of a lot of math to compute. There was a break at the halfway point for refreshments, with the final destination a BBQ joint for lunch and awards.

After lunch, it was back to the hospital around 3:00 p.m. So, it was a nice, six-hour diversion for the soldiers. I have no idea how Potomac Region pulled it together, but I hope they do it again next year. For late July, the weather was fantastic for top down driving—mostly cloudy and in the mid 80s. Of course, compared to 115 in the desert with fully gear, boots and fatigues, just about anything DC can muster weather wise is probably considered top down driving for these folks. Not all cars were rag tops, but there was a good sample of P-cars—356 coupe, 550 Spyder replica, 911s of all sorts and ages, 928S, 944, 968, Boxsters, Caymans and even a Cayenne.

For me, it was just about one of the most rewarding days, and if it wasn’t for that car in my garage, I would never have had the chance to experience it. So, join your local PCA region and get something out of it besides discounts at your dealer. You just might be able to give permagrin to somebody who truly needs and deserves it.

Staging to pick up navigators

Driving to pick up our navigators

I was really thirsty, too. Oh, well (Men's room at Walter Reed)

Wow! Looked like one terrific event
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 1 August, 2012, at 10:28:14 am
Shows how a bit of planning can give you that sense of satisfaction of knowing that you've helped to help bring joy to someone who is really deserving.

It really is all about the people.

PS. Loved the sign in the men's room. Rain water or not, I wouldn't be inclined to quaff from that fountain.
Re: Wow! Looked like one terrific event
MikenOH - Wednesday, 1 August, 2012, at 11:08:46 am
Kudos to the Potomac/Founders regions for coming up with this idea--I'm sure everyone enjoyed the event.
Thanks for sharing. What a fantastic idea!
Excellent and glad you found a way to help give back in light of PCA's stomping the popular "Heroes on Track" events.
What an awesome event! *NM*
SMILIN - Wednesday, 1 August, 2012, at 8:44:03 pm
Good for you. I wish we could do more for disabled veterans.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Each driver pitched in $50 and the winning navigator got $1,000, plus a trophy for the driver and navigator. There were other cash prizes for some of the other vets, too, for other little give aways. We all got a SWAG bag with a hat, shirt and lanyard (Porsche).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login