Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The anticlimax.....(drain plug)
grant - Wednesday, 1 August, 2012, at 8:43:14 pm
Got ready to wrestle with it. Cut a quick channel to tap the drift in. Very soft, cut like butter.

Before applying drift, i just tried a traditional Allen Key (VACO long/short L-shaped). Kinda wedged it in. Turned. Voila.

30 seconds.

Ahhh well. I expect some of the difference was VACO vs Cheap-O. I now have a large collection of plgs however.

ps: does anyone really torque this thing to 50 lbs-ft as the Good Book says? I don't.

Thanks again, car happy with fresh oil for the track.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: The anticlimax.....(drain plug)
CarreraLicious - Wednesday, 1 August, 2012, at 8:50:41 pm
The torque spec is 37 Lb/ft. Glad it worked out for ya.
and yes, i normally do it by feel, but given the situation i was feeling like at least reading the book before doing things (not) by it.

Thanks to all

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: The anticlimax.....(drain plug)
Roger987 - Wednesday, 1 August, 2012, at 9:58:55 pm
Excellent.

Although I'm by the book when torquing suspension and engine components, I don't recall ever using a torque wrench on any of my cars' oil drain plugs.

As I suspect you do, I tighten it 'enough, but not too much'. I use only my ratchet. 50 ft-lbs (or even 37) seems to me like a lot. Of course, if I were in the business, I'd be sure to use the manufacturer's spec. But I'm not, and I want to be able to get it loose without giving myself a hernia, or stripping the plug.
It's 50.7 Nm, not ft-lbs. *NM*
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 1 August, 2012, at 10:09:11 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login