Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
981 Convertible-top Service Position
whall - Friday, 3 August, 2012, at 9:29:09 pm
Here is the information I got at my dealer this afternoon::

MOVING CONVERTIBLE-TOP TO SERVICE POSITION:

1. Remove left and right wind deflector inserts from the roll over bar.

2. Open the convertible top until a dimension of approximately 100 mm is achieved between the windshield frame and the front convertible top bow.

3. Reach through the opening in the roll-over bar and unclip the tension ropes from the guides on both sides.

4. Open the convertible top until a dimension of approximately 470 mm is achieved between the windshield frame and the front convertible top bow.

5. With the rear lid open, grab the rear tension bow from the outside and pull upwards.

6. Loosen retaining strap from the mounting on the rear tension bow.

7. Pull Retaining strap over the convertible top covering to the left convertible-top tip and attach.

ENDING CONVERTIBLE-TOP SERVICE POSITION:

1. Disengage retaining strap and clip into the catches on the tension bow.

2. Fold tension bow back out of the service position and into the original position.

3. Reach through the opening in the roll-over bar and clip the tension ropes into the guides on both sides.

4. Close convertible top and install wind deflector inserts.

I know photographs would make this whole exercise easier, but the photographs I got with the opening procedure are difficult enough to see in the original document and when scanned...... At least the procedure doesn't take a PIWIS to accomplish.

The technicians didn't have the time (or experience - haven't been to school yet!) to demonstrate how to find the engine. Maybe next time.

Bill
Thanks!
Boxsterra - Saturday, 4 August, 2012, at 11:34:46 pm
I puzzled over this for a while when I first got my hands on the car.
You buying/got one, too? *NM*
Laz - Sunday, 5 August, 2012, at 12:36:02 am
Not yet
Boxsterra - Sunday, 5 August, 2012, at 12:22:29 pm
I'm waiting for the early adopters to work out the kinks.

I really like (most of) the exterior styling of the 981 and the seats are a huge improvement over the 986. I'm not a huge fan of the button-y interior but I think I could get past it. I still think the simple interior of the pre-glovebox 986s are the best looking. I would appreciate the upgrades to the interior materials.

The main problem is that I love my current car and have little motivation to replace it. The biggest problem with the 986s was the lack of power and I solved that by putting in a bigger engine.
Kinda figured that: with the big motor, you're pretty happy.
Laz - Sunday, 5 August, 2012, at 3:40:24 pm
I think your car would have TC at most, not the full PSM. My former 2001 didn't have anything, and especially coming through a huge downpour today, I appreciate having traction/stability assistants in the new car. The limited slip was great for getting away from a bridge toll booth before a minivan and a mobile home trundled out from adjacent lanes. It pulled like the road was dry.
Having a glove box is a good thing, along with the better fitting cigarette lighter, but when the two cars are sitting together, the 986 still looks every bit as good and certainly looks a lot like a 550 by contrast with the 2013.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login