Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Another question for Mike or Laz
Guenter in Ontario - Monday, 6 August, 2012, at 10:53:21 pm
Probably Mike will get this one first since he's sleeping on the cot beside the CURVN8R - likey with one eye open. grinning smiley

With all the new info available in the right hand "instrument" readout, will it show current fuel consumption in addition to average consumption?

Just curious. Besides, Mike is probably looking for something to check out anyway. smiling smiley
Re: Another question for Mike or Laz
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Monday, 6 August, 2012, at 11:16:07 pm
I'll go look after this race in the Olympics.
Re: Another question for Mike or Laz
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Monday, 6 August, 2012, at 11:34:17 pm
The right hand readout gives a multitude of facts - but can be a bit confusing. What I found is that it will give you total average fuel consumption (mpg) and fuel consumption for a stated period since reset (e.g., since the last refill or beginning of a trip). Is that right, Laz?
A clarificaton
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 1:54:41 am
The short term fuel consumption is automatically reset when the car is started and continues until reset manually or until the car remains statinery for two hours.
Re: A clarificaton
Laz - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 7:20:25 am
I hadn't realized there's a long and short term consumption and assumed the reset wiped out everything. I need to reread and "test" what's occurring. I wasn't aware of the "two hour" short-term reset.
Re: A clarificaton
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 8:50:14 am
Lawdevil & CURVN8R
The short term fuel consumption is automatically reset when the car is started and continues until reset manually or until the car remains statinery for two hours.

That sounds similar to what Audi and VW have. It gives:
- average fuel consumption (this is resetable for a trip or long term)
- average short term fuel consumption (reset separately from the above, it also reset automatically if the car was turned off for more than 2 hours)
- current fuel consumption rate (this one is really handy if you want to check out how different driving techniques effect consumption)
Gear shift assistant
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 12:42:48 am
Guenter, as I was looking at the owner's manual, I noticed something which might interest you straight stick aficionados - cars equipped with a manual transmission receive a "gearshift assistant" in the right hand cluster. It is basically a sequential display which moves from white to yellow to red as you get to shift points. It also tells you which gear you should be going to - as if you could not figure that out.
Re: Gear shift assistant
Laz - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 7:25:47 am
I deleted that from the display. The gear shift indicator doesn't display until the clutch is being engaged... I think it ought to be show a gear when that gear is selected, not "after the fact." It's a bit unnecessary anyhow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2012 07:26AM by Laz. (view changes)
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 8:41:19 am
Thanks guys. As I recall from my test drive at the end of June, there's also a display telling you which gear you're in (in the manual as well as PDK cars). Seems to me it's like paint by numbers. I guess it might be useful for someone learning how to drive a manual.

My experience is that I don't even need the tach for shifting. If you're at all in tune with the car, you can hear and feel when it's time to shift and into which gear. It's when I'm accelerating hard that I really pay attention to the tach, so I can make my shift just a split second before I hit the rev limiter for optimal acceleration.
For maximum acceleration ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 9:37:35 am
... you may want to short-shift and not wait untill you reach the rev limiter (or just before).
IIRC your car develops peak HP at 6,400 RPM.
If you keep accelerating to (almost) redline your HP curve starts declining, so it's best to upshift just after peak so that you can do it again in the next gear.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Quite a spread with the new Boxster S
Laz - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 9:46:27 am
6700 for maximum horsepower, but 7800 rpm for maximum engine speed per the literature. The tach redlines at 7600 rpm though.
Re: For maximum acceleration ...
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 10:50:39 am
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... you may want to short-shift and not wait untill you reach the rev limiter (or just before).
IIRC your car develops peak HP at 6,400 RPM.
If you keep accelerating to (almost) redline your HP curve starts declining, so it's best to upshift just after peak so that you can do it again in the next gear.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Thanks Pedro. Makes perfect sense.

Sort of related then - Why, when you're doing a PPI or engine check in general, do you prefer to see a car that has hit the rev limiter from time to time, to one that has not?
Re: Sort of related then ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 11:28:05 am
When I do a PPI seeing a car that has many ignitions at the limit doesn't worry me.
It means that the car has been driven using the full range of engine speeds.
What I don't like to see are any ignitions beyond the rev limiter which means a missed shift.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 7 August, 2012, at 10:18:39 am
The display telling you whcih gear you are in is useful for the PDK - much less so for manual.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login