Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
ROW MO30 Springs For a Boxster S question
Brian P - Wednesday, 8 August, 2012, at 11:23:23 am
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could answer a question for me? I called Suncoast about the availability of the ROW MO3O suspension kit for the Boxster S and they informed me that Porsche was discontinuing it but I could still order just the springs. My question is will the springs fit on the stock shocks I have? The PO put Eibach springs on the car when he first bought it and the car LOOKS GREAT but I find the car way too low for practical daily use and it wears rear tires on the inside like crazy.

Great board Pedro and I love your monthly articles in the Gold Coast Kassette.

Thanks,
Brian
They still have it for sale on their website
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 8 August, 2012, at 8:35:03 pm
Though it does say "limited availability"

[www.suncoastparts.com]
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
But Suncoast is definitely implying that there is.

Carnewal sells the kit (which they say works on both the "S" and the non-"S") for approximately the same amount:

[www.carnewal-europe.com]

No word on whether or not it's in stock.

Here is some discussion on the topic:

[boxcar-racing.com]
Re: ROW MO30 Springs For a Boxster S question
Brian P - Thursday, 9 August, 2012, at 1:17:12 am
the website states that the kit is for the base model only and when I called they confirmed that and also stated that the kit was ''getting harder to get'' but I could get the springs separately if I could wait 2 to 4 weeks.
I guess if people are subbing the bilsteins for the MO3O shocks then it should'nt be a problem to use them on my stock shocks which only have 20k miles on them
The M030 shocks ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 9 August, 2012, at 9:10:29 am
... are different than the standard.
Their damping characteristic is quite different.
You can put the M030 springs on the standard shock, but that's just half of the equation.
I had M030 for the longest time in my car and was very happy (I thought) until I installed PSS9s last year.
What a difference!

Glad you like the articles. If you miss one or want to check back on any of them I post them all here: [pedrosgarage.com]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I think he's saying...
grant - Thursday, 9 August, 2012, at 9:54:32 am
ROW 030 springs with Bilstein Sport struts. That might work, btu is not an engineered-to-match set.

You really think the PSS >>>> ROW030 huh? I have two concerns for my application:

1. a bit too rough for the street
2. too low for practicality here in the northeast

(note I am seriously considering keeping this as a street car and buying a track car, so keep that in mind)

your two cents?

Grant

Grant

The link I gave above
Boxsterra - Thursday, 9 August, 2012, at 5:31:37 pm
talks about which struts are comparable to the ROW M030 ones.
Brian P - Thursday, 9 August, 2012, at 10:39:14 am
Thanks Pedro,

I understand that the damping characteristics are different i just wanted a reality check that the physical characteristics were the same IE. that the springs would physically fit on the stock shock. New Bilstein sports will come later. I have no need for PSS9's. If I go to the track I take my 86 911

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2012 10:48AM by Brian P. (view changes)
I'm installing STs in my Audi S6 tomorrow. I will report, so long as we understand its being installed in a fat-pig V8 equipped backwards 911.

Grant

Grant

I'd love coilovers for the Boxster but cost is a concern along with my ability to properly tune them. I've ridden in cars with coilovers that were not properly set up and it was not a fun ride. I know i can install them properly but setting them up is a different story.
In general
grant - Thursday, 9 August, 2012, at 3:59:58 pm
matched spring /damper combos provide better ride per unit handling, since they are engineered as a system and can be closer to critical damping.

The STs are supposed to be quite friendly. We shall see.

Setup is two things:

1 ride height, which is not all that subjective
2 rebound (which is not adjustable on the STs but is on the KWs) which most set pretty soft for the street.

You need to begin with the design intent of the system - track, street or slam/bling. Some are truly harsh with 1000 lb+ spring rates.

Ive been in PSS9 cars on soft. They are firm, but ok. A bit stiffer than i'd like. That's why i bought the STs for my street car and was suggesting that you consider them, depending on how my adventure goes.

Grant

Grant

Re: In general
Brian P - Monday, 13 August, 2012, at 10:22:03 am
I ordered the Euro MO3O springs from Suncoast on Friday, They said it would take 2-4 weeks for delivery from Germany. Now I need to decide if "while I'm in there" should I just go ahead and replace the shocks. They are 12 years old, have had the Eibachs on them for most of their life according to the PO but they only have 20k miles on them. It seems stupid not to just replace them but I hate to toss a good set of shocks and springs
Is the damping different on the M030 vs standard. It ought to be. Critical damping is not terribly subjective, and it changes with spring rate - and the M030 springs have a very different rate. But maybe they are not - if so that gives Porsche a black eye right off the abt in my book.

Now, if they are different - e.g.; each spring is matched to dampers that achieve critical damping with some fudge for reality -- then i'd turn that around ( as i wrote above) and say its stupid NOT to change them. Not because yours are old, but because they are tuned to a spring that isn't there. Note they were also not tuned to the Eibach's.

Sometimes people like a mismatched et - e.g: it may crash less over bumps. But if the goal is maximum tire contact with the road surface, and minimum oscillation, they must be designed as a system.

ergo my opinion on engineered sets, whether spring/damper or "coilovers" (terrible term BTW).

Grant

Grant

Spot on *NM*
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 14 August, 2012, at 6:50:56 pm
I posted about my ST coilovers int eh Audi S6 above, and now...
grant - Wednesday, 15 August, 2012, at 8:56:39 am
i've had them a while, leveled the car, did a corner weighting just for anality ( is that a word?) and did a performance alignment (more negative camber).

Its awesome.

Its not harsh, but its firm and controlled.

Lowering of course helps immensely with 1) less weight transfer and 2) more free camber. This means the roll, squat and dive reduce yet there is no penalty in ride quality.

Now, it IS stiffer than stock. Its just not harsh with crashing high frequency stuff. In fact, that is reduced.

Theory works. Bear in mind many coilovers are designed for racing, even more for bling (slamming). Neither of those really belong on the street. I find the PSS9 marginal for the street - but terrific on the track.

I have the corner weight and alignment reports here:

[i45.tinypic.com]

[i45.tinypic.com]

(see what i mean about a 911, only backwards?)

Grant

Grant

Ed(Arizona) - Friday, 10 August, 2012, at 12:17:22 pm
We have been thru this with the '02 Boxster S,,,,

Recommendation: Get the M030 US springs and you will be happy!

Regards, smileys with beer

Roy Turner
Phoenix, AZ
2002 Boxster S Cobalt/Blk/Blk
I'm considering selling my ROW M030 kit
bar10dah - Friday, 17 August, 2012, at 8:44:33 pm
I may be in a position to sell my '99 Box in about six months. If that happens, I'm considering just selling the new/never installed ROW M030 kit that I have sitting in my garage. I bought these to install in my car, but they're worth more resold rather than installed in my car. If I do put them up for sale, I'll probably offer them up for $1,000 plus shipping. Local pick-up would be preferred. Or, delivered within a couple miles from here, or meet half-way somewhere.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login