Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
2000 miles in two used cars
Steve (Morro Bay) - Saturday, 11 August, 2012, at 10:02:10 am
I just finished a great road trip from Pasadena to Grinnell, Iowa, where I'll start a new job. Me and a friend drove my 2003 Boxster and 2007 Cayman. Hope that between the two of them, I'll be able to get around in the winter. The previous (original) owner of the Cayman had installed some Eibach springs, giving it a stiffer and lower ride. It's loads of fun, but the clearance is narrow enough to probably render it useless in the snow. So it could be that winter duty goes to the boxster after all. Even after some age, these cars are great for long road trips. Didn't have any problems at all. We got lots of looks and double takes when passing cars with our mini porsche parade. One kid in the back window of an RV stared and waved so much that I'm sure he'll be a future porsche owner someday (you're welcome, porsche). Ran into an pair of retired couples one of which was a former targa owner. Had a long chat with them and got great eating tips for the town ahead. Also had a funny chat with an older fella selling watermelons in nebraska. I think he judged from their size and odd look, that these must be the new hybrids he had heard about. He asked what kind of milage I get. I told him proudly that I had averaged 28 mpg over the whole trip. "Really? I can get that in my Buick." he said puzzled. Security at the cedar rapids airport (where my codriver took off for another adventure) was baffled by the double trunks. Anyhow, the trip was great and I thought I'd pass along some photos.

wide open landscape, arriving at nevada border
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

pulled over to survey the curves of route 12 just outside of escalante, utah
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

surveying...
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

gas station heaven, by the howard johnson at entrance of capitol reef national park.
I find it amazing how clean the cars stayed. You can really see the shine here. There were only a handful of bug splatters on the front-facing surfaces after about 2000 miles.
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

ominous landscapes on route 24 (12 and 24 were absolutely epic, and are maybe my favorite drives of all time)
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

final few shots of the cars just off of route 24.
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]
[www.tapir.caltech.edu]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 10:04AM by Steve (Berlin & LA). (view changes)
Re: 2000 miles in two used cars
MikenOH - Saturday, 11 August, 2012, at 11:01:59 am
Great pictures, Steve.
Best of luck with the new job in IA.
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 11 August, 2012, at 11:19:23 am
Thanks for the pictures, Steve. Brings back fond memories of our California trip. We loved the Nevada, Utah part for its vast expanses and rugged beauty.

Like you, I found the car stayed pretty clean for that whole drive, with few bugs.

Best wishes at your new job.
Great pics!
mcomet_CA - Sunday, 12 August, 2012, at 9:31:55 am
Brilliant!
jwdbox - Sunday, 12 August, 2012, at 9:37:03 am
Cool pics. Best of luck with your new job. cool smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login