Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Replacing Windshield Trim/surround
Rob in KC - Thursday, 16 August, 2012, at 4:32:03 am
I have a 2001 S that is suffering from discoloration of the silver windshield trim. This seems to be a pretty common problem. I would like to replace the trim piece.

Has anyone taken on this job? Just wondering if this piece is easily replaceable. I have seen one post that seems to indicate it is not possible to replace this without removing the windshield.

Thanks.

- Rob
Re: Replacing Windshield Trim/surround
jg wnc - Thursday, 16 August, 2012, at 8:57:35 am
They definitely replace it when they replace the windshield, but I have never heard of anyone just replacing the trim piece. Could you get a body shop to tape it up and repaint it. I suspect it would not survive removal, repaint and replacement.
Rob in KC - Thursday, 16 August, 2012, at 9:36:20 am
I suppose that is an option, but it doesn't really bother me enough (yet) to go down that route. A new trim piece is only about $50 which is why I was hoping to just swap it out.
dan.oneufer - Friday, 17 August, 2012, at 9:30:21 pm
If your model year is like the '03, I believe you can easily remove the old without disturbing the windshield at all. I say this because mine is really quite loose and in several areas around the windshield and can be pulled out an eight or quarter of an inch. I'm not certain how easy it is to put the replacement in. I was considering this myself, but got stuck finding the right part number. Is it 2 separate parts (the black and the easy-to-tarnish bright-work) or is it all 1?
FWIW - the 981 does not have any surround trim.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Friday, 17 August, 2012, at 10:00:07 pm
It looks like it just fits directly into the windshield/a pillar frame.
Rob in KC - Sunday, 19 August, 2012, at 4:16:07 pm
It is one piece. Part # is 986 541 541 02.
CarreraLicious - Saturday, 18 August, 2012, at 9:34:13 am
They replace it upon windshield replacement. I would just call your local Safelite, and ask them if you can have one of their guys replace just the molding if you paid them for it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login