Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Strut advice please - complicated
catalogguy - Friday, 24 August, 2012, at 1:14:18 pm
CURRENT SITUATION:

2000 Boxster S with euro spec RoW M030 suspension.
Front passenger side strut leaking badly.

Sacramento alignment shop Linville Bros had the car up on the yesterday and recommends I replace both front struts since one is leaking. They quoted me $260 to replace the struts, $240 to replace the strut assemblies. This is for labor. They sent me out on my own to source the parts.

REPLACE STRUT CARTRIDGE OPTION

Bilstein Sport seems to be the top (only?) choice to properly fit the RoW M030. The Sport is an inch shorter than the HD version, but both apparently have the same “valving.” Bilstein is apparently the OEM supplier of the 030 shocks, and also the Euro spec replacement shocks do not seem to be available separately in the US. Tire Rack supplies the Bilstein Sports for $486, bringing the cost of the job to about $750 (plus alignment).

RESTORE ORIGINAL SUSPENSION

I have the original factory suspension, or at least most of it. Looks like 4 springs/shocks and 2 sway bars. I wouldn't mind going back, even though the car rides higher. I am reading about shops swapping suspensions for about $600. This would give me the original (comfortable) ride and make the car reliable transportation right now. Maybe I should take it down to the shop to have a look at it and give me a price and an opinion. This is not a Porsche shop, but it is a large and bustling alignment shop.

ORIGINAL SHOCKS WITH 030 SPRINGS

Since I have the original suspension, would it be feasible to install my old front shocks. It is a mismatch with the M030 springs and sway bars, but for driving around town and on the freeways, is it going to make a difference?

I took the bar exam and am awaiting results in November, so after 3 years of school and still no income, I am more concerned with getting the transportation in order than optimizing the car. Putting on the shocks I have would result in no parts cost, and that is appealing!

Any feedback or recommendations would be great!
I take it you didnt read my recent rant .....
grant - Friday, 24 August, 2012, at 11:08:37 pm
Option #1 is the best option if you like the ROW030s.

Option #2 gives you a more comfortable, but less performance oriented car. Your choice. Vanilla or Strawberry?

Option #3 is a terrible idea. It will not be properly matched ti yield anything close to critical damping. further, i would guess the pistons could bottom, ruining the shocks.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login