Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
New CAFE mileage standards to double fuel efficiency
danz76 - Tuesday, 28 August, 2012, at 3:14:16 pm
We all knew this was coming....I'm only 35 but in my lifetime we've gone from huge American gas guzzling sedans to asian econoboxes and K-cars to minivans and behemoth SUVs, some of which are based on army vehicles. This really is the next big thing (or maybe not so big - you know what I mean).

Miami Herald story on CAFE standards
Re: New CAFE mileage standards to double fuel efficiency
MikenOH - Tuesday, 28 August, 2012, at 5:19:56 pm
The comment from "government" motors made me laugh--they say they will provide what's required without reservations. Since the Feds are major owners of that little enterprise, I couldn't see them saying anything else.

It will be interesting to see what the other major players say and do, especially Ford and Chrysler, given the number of large vehicles they produce.

What happens in the economy may make this whole discussion moot anyway; unless the job situation changes dramatically, many buyers may opt or be forced to continue to drive their old cars way past the time they'd like to dump them. For these regs to may a difference in oil consumption and reduced emissions, you actually have to get the old cars off the road and be replaced with the new ones--not exactly a done deal.
Mathematical tip for the auto makers
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 28 August, 2012, at 6:31:54 pm
Make one electric car. It's amazing what adding an infinite MPG vehicle does to your average.
Now that I can electronically check fuel consumption, I'm amazed at the efficiency achieved by getting to the higher gears sooner. And the torque-iness of the S engine makes staying in 6th a breeze on hilly highways, like the Taconic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login