Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Tire Inflator/Sealant
p-wagen - Tuesday, 28 August, 2012, at 10:13:58 pm
Has anyone on this board had any experience with any of the tire inflator/sealant products on the market? I know that Pennzoil and Prestone have several to choose from in 16, 18 and 20 oz. cans. Although my '98 Boxster has the donut spare, with a passenger on board there wouldn't be a place for the flat tire and rim.
Re: Tire Inflator/Sealant
jwdbox - Wednesday, 29 August, 2012, at 12:37:47 am
I carry Slime's Safety Spair Flat Tire Repair System in SilverBox and my other cars and have for years. I like it for several reasons including it is a complete system (pump, in-line-sealant) so all you do is attach the valve to the valve stem and it inflates and seals the tire (except of course for sidewall rips or blow outs), it is non-flammable, compatible with TPMS, when the tire is removed from the wheel it can be washed out using just water. I have been lucky to not have any flats since I carry it (kind of like an umbrella grinning smiley ) but I have used it with great success in my bike tires. (No affiliation with the company.) cool smiley
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Wednesday, 29 August, 2012, at 9:14:15 am
I also invested in the Slime kit, which I got at Amazon.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Rev Dennis - Saturday, 1 September, 2012, at 3:20:09 pm
I heard those kits ruin the TPMS if you don't get to them quickly. I carry a compressor and a plug repair kit. Takes less than 5 minutes to fix a flat. Haven't needed it for years but I needed it twice on two cars a few years ago. And YES I KNOW IT WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE TO BE PROPERLY REPAIRED. smiling smiley
jwdbox - Saturday, 1 September, 2012, at 3:34:52 pm
Rev Dennis
I heard those kits ruin the TPMS if you don't get to them quickly. I carry a compressor and a plug repair kit. Takes less than 5 minutes to fix a flat. Haven't needed it for years but I needed it twice on two cars a few years ago. And YES I KNOW IT WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE TO BE PROPERLY REPAIRED. smiling smiley
Some of the temp repair kits are not designed for use with TPMS, Slime happens to be designed to work with TPMS and does not 'ruin' the sensor mechanism.
If I recall correctly, one has to first remove the mechanism; then inject the sealant; then reinstall the mechanism; and finally use the supplied compressor to reinflate.
I've used Fix-a-Flat, etc, on other cars, but the last time I did, the stuff sloshed around so much that there was a horrendous imbalance. Maybe it's a brand by brand difference, and I would expect Porsche's goop not to do that.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
p-wagen - Tuesday, 4 September, 2012, at 9:25:42 pm
Thanks to all for your comments and recommendations.smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login