Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Passenger Window Doesn't Go Down When Doors Are Unlocked
mcrg00 - Sunday, 2 September, 2012, at 6:47:17 pm
Thanks for any help on this issue. I have a 2000 Boxster that I've owned for three years and it is a great car. My only recent complaint is that when I hit the power locks to unlock the doors, my horn beeps twice. On top of that, the passenger side window does not drop when you try to open the door. If I hit the power lock on my key fob, the window does drop and then I can shut the passenger side door without banging the weatherstripping. It's like it's got the sequence backwards or something. Occasionally I have been able to "trick it" and the horn no longer beeps twice when I unlock and the window drops like normal. But that is becoming less and less frequent. I've read posts online about the microrelay causing this problem with the window, but don't understand why that would have anything to do with the horn beeping.

This is one of those things that's annoying but liveable and am not sure that I want to spend several hundred dollars getting it fixed. Any ideas/recommendations on how I could take care of it myself?

Appreciate the help in advance...mcrg00
is bad. There's a switch that is opened/closed that causes the window to drop.

If the door handle is released without opening the door the window should raise to its previous position.

If the door is opened the door latch switch opens and prevents the window from raising even though the handle is released once the door is open,

My 02 exhibited the above on the passenger's side of the car.

But before this, the infrequent but frequent enough symptoms were a double beep when locking the car. I always checked and never found anything ajar but suspecting a bad center console switch or perhaps a bad rear trunk lid switch I would work one or the other and the double beep would not reappear.

At other times after unlocking the car while on the road the door lock LED would light up and I would hear the door locks lock. I would press the door unlock button and they would unlock, sometimes to remain unlocked the rest of the trip (often a trip of 30 minutes or more) while a few times the symptom would repeat.

The last symptom was the passenger side window dropping when the door was opened but then rising once the door was open and the handle released.

For 1st and 2nd group of symptoms (at different times) I took the car in to the local dealer. In the 1st case a door latch assembly was replaced.

In the 2nd case the door lock assembly (a much more complex assembly -- bigger box -- more smarts/electrics) was replaced. This is part of the car's security system and the tech was able to id it was at fault and nothing else using the Porsche diagnostics computer and the drive/test links of the system to check out the security system and retrieve some error codes that were present.

I do not remember the costs of the two repairs but the door latch assembly repair was the cheaper of the two. The door lock assembly was more expensive due to a bit more labor and the part cost being around $400.

Oh, I have had the window regulator -- both sides -- go out so "while you are there" or while someone is there ( the tech ) have the window regulator checked and replaced.

On both sides the tech told me the thing just came apart when he tried to remove it. They were worn out.

The window regulator is the hardware/mechanism that moves the window up and down. In my car's case the symptom was an insufficient/slow drop when I opened the door and possibly a slow or noisy window lower/raise operation using the buttons. I can't recall exactly now but it was clear that the window was not functioning right.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login