Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Is your Boxster your daily driver?
Jim 'n' SC - Tuesday, 18 September, 2012, at 4:36:25 pm
Just curious as to how many drive their Boxster's every day rain or shine? I drive a Toyota Tacoma on the bad days.
Re: Is your Boxster your daily driver?
db997S - Tuesday, 18 September, 2012, at 4:45:39 pm
I've driven both of my Boxsters ('98 base and '02 S) on a daily basis, except in snow, and I now do the same with my '09 997S Cab. We have tornado watches in DC today and I'll be driving my P-car home in the heavy rain. The reason I don't drive in the snow are the performance tires. We don't get enough of the white stuff and it doesn't stay around long enough when we do, to justify snow tires. So, take my wife's Prius or the subway on those days, until pavement is once again visible.
My Boxster is not my daily driver ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 18 September, 2012, at 5:51:13 pm
... since there are days when I don't drive it, like yesterday.
I just use it to take me anywhere I want to go, at any time, night or day, rain or shine.
It takes me to the track once a month when I feel like going fast, and to the AutoCross a few times a year, when I feel like turning right and left.
It takes me to the North Carolina mountains once a year (generally). It's taken me to Texas to Boxstoberfest and to a bunch of other events, but it's not my daily driver.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Of course. it is...
dghii - Tuesday, 18 September, 2012, at 9:38:04 pm
...I have an Alfa Spider, what else am I going to drive?

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Yes, At least during good weather in Wyoming
Wyominguy - Tuesday, 18 September, 2012, at 11:17:36 pm
I did not buy this car to drive in the snow or scrape ice from it. So it stays in its bedroom with the electric blanket on from November until late March.

Neil

2001 Boxster S
boxsterd - Wednesday, 19 September, 2012, at 12:18:53 am
Yup, it is now. It wasn't always. I drive 40-45 miles/day Monday - Friday.
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Wednesday, 19 September, 2012, at 12:21:51 am
I drive mine everyday it is not raining. It will go into storage in the winter. SUVs wth snow tires are made for snow and ice, not Porsches with racing tires. the finger smiley

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
When I first bought it, I was only going to drive it on sunny Sunday afternoons. Then I started thinking, that I use wet water to wash the car, why not drive it in the rain. It washes up very nicely. Besides, I get more and more addicted to the way this cars handles and sounds. Love that Symphony in Flat Six. smiling smiley

I won't drive it when there's salt on the roads because of what the salt does to all the underside things - brakes, suspension etc. So, it sleeps quietly December - March.
2000S, 196K miles, original owner, only driver, parked for 8 years in a semi-covered car port in Center City Philly.

Bruce

After 10 years of this abuse, the following:

[picasaweb.google.com]

[mywebpages.comcast.net]
[mywebpages.comcast.net]
danz76 - Wednesday, 19 September, 2012, at 10:23:23 am
I used to park it for the winter when I lived in NJ/NYC for my first 5 years of ownership and drive a Jeep during that time, but now that I live in Miami Beach, yes, its a daily driver.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2012 10:23AM by danz76. (view changes)
gedwin - Wednesday, 19 September, 2012, at 10:48:19 am
My one and only car is my 2010 Boxster S, now with 20000 miles, daily driver 365 days/year, all weather conditions. I live is NJ.
My previous daily driver was my 2001 Boxster, traded with 130000 miles, also 365 days/year, all weather conditions.
I change out the tires/wheels for winter, and I'm good to go. But I must say that I have more confidence in the new car's stability in bad weather, thanks to the electronic aids.
Its one of two, and i have 4 snow tires for it.
grant - Wednesday, 19 September, 2012, at 10:49:14 am
regrettably it is not rolling at the moment.

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Drive mine rain or sun...
TheFarmer - Wednesday, 19 September, 2012, at 3:43:13 pm
I found that a set of winter tires and rims works great for the cold weather here in DC (yes it does get cold enough so the summer tires lose grip). I tend not to drive in snow and slush, but that is because of the salt solutions that they put on the roads that I would prefer to keep off the car. While I don't drive every day, it is the car I prefer to have on the back roads and on the beltway.
driving to my daughter's house an hour away in the country, or like tomorrow driving about 2 hours to visit a friend and do some crabbing.
NuovaZeta - Monday, 24 September, 2012, at 5:39:58 pm
Every day. :-)

It's reliable but I do try to keep it clean and avoid rain if I can.

John
Only time
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Monday, 24 September, 2012, at 9:05:05 pm
I didn't it was snow/ice/freeze (well there was one time I shouldn't have and it cost me the first Boxster) or I had a need for an SUV for package dimensions or passengers. I've taken the Boxster in hurricane level rain with perfect confidence and in preference to the SUV with excellent rain tires. And on roads where a sudden thaw had left salt on the roads. The Boxsters were my daily driver to work and my fun car to drive the long way for pizza. Long trips the top was up, otherwise down. Can't count the number of times I had to stop/slow in the rain and raise the top because I insisted it was a convertible and I could drive with the top down as long as I kept my speed up but eventually I had to stop.

It's just a car and I bought it to enjoy it...not to baby it. Much more every day practical/reliable than my first 3 sports cars.
Face it Mike, you need another Boxster!
dghii - Monday, 24 September, 2012, at 11:21:57 pm
Appreciate your continued posting and keeping your site up!

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Yesireee. Sure sounds like it.
Guenter in Ontario - Tuesday, 25 September, 2012, at 12:10:27 am
If only to bring that pizza home hot from that pizzaria that's only a 45 minute drive away.
BarryL - Tuesday, 25 September, 2012, at 1:01:57 am
Yes! For the first four years after buying my 2002 base Boxster with tip, it stayed in the garage. At 39K and just over four years old, I had an IMS failure and got a replacement engine from Porsche. Since that time, I decided to put as many miles as I can on my Boxster. Over three years ago, I took a job where I commuted 75 miles each way and my Boxster was my daily commute car. Now, my commute is 35 miles each way, and at 149K miles, it is still my daily driver. I enjoy this car as much as the day I drove it out the showroom floor over 10 years ago.

BarryL
2002 2.7 Base with tip 149K miles
Dublin, CA
First Boxster ('03S, 2006-2009) was my daily driver, and current Box ('09S) was my daily driver for the first two years, to the tune of 28K miles...mostly because there wasn't a viable alternative (I know, twist my arm...)

Since getting the Impreza this year, though, I've been only driving the Boxster when it's pleasant to have the top down...and for a lot of the summer it was just plain too hot around here (well, plus that period coincided with arrival of the Impreza, so I played with that a lot). I made up for it the past month, though, where it's been just gorgeous pretty much straight through.

I'd like to keep this Boxster for a long time, so I think from now on I'll be putting closer to 5K on it per year instead of 15K. And, absence really does make the heart grow fonder cool smiley
Frissen - Wednesday, 26 September, 2012, at 2:09:50 pm
MY2000 2.7 986 Manual owned since new and not a DD until a year ago... Mexican driving conditions have certainly put a toll on my 986 but so far so good smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login